Images much darker in PSE than Windows Picture Viewer?

AT
Posted By
Alfred_Taylor
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open up any of the pictures I’ve taken with my digital camera, the pictures come up _much_ darker than if I were to view them using your standard picture viewer. (Windows XP built-in, IrfanView, IE, etc)

I didn’t have this problem with the trial version of PSE 2.0. But once I bought a copy and installed it, I’m getting this problem and haven’t found a way around it.

If it helps any, I’m not using any color management. Does anybody have any suggestions? It’s really a blocking issue, since I can’t really make image adjustments if I’m viewing a skewed version of the image.

Thanks,
Alfred

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SS
Susan_S.
May 7, 2004
I’d try recallibrating your monitor – PSE is colour managed unlike just about everything else and needs to be able to see a correct monitor profile (created during the callibration process) to accurately display colours.
BB
brent_bertram
May 7, 2004
Here’s a techdoc on the calibration process and a link to a tutorial. <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1403e.htm>
<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>

🙂
RB
Richard_Brackett
May 7, 2004
I suddenly have the same problem. PSE worked fine a few days ago and now all photos are too dark. I noticed last night that when photos are "Saved for the Web", they appear OK in that area of PSE.

I suspect a recent automatic update is causing this problem but how can I contact Adobe to have this problem reversed? My PSE is useless now.
RB
Richard_Brackett
May 7, 2004
I just talked to Adobe tech support and the rep asked me to reset my settings by holding ctrl, alt and shift when starting Elements. A dialog box pops up asking if you want to reset settings. After doing that, my photos display correctly. I have no idea what caused this problem, but resetting settings corrected it.
BB
brent_bertram
May 7, 2004
Richard,
That is the "reset preferences" key sequence and cures many a mysterious malady. File it away for future use <G> .

🙂

Brent
SL
steve_leediker
May 7, 2004
Same problem here. 2 days ago it started. I did the control and alt when lauching the "save to the web"– Hpoe that works
AT
Alfred_Taylor
May 7, 2004
Hey everything, thanks for the tips. As it turns out, I just didn’t go through Aodbe Gamma (found in the Control Panel). Once I went through that wizard, my images look fine.

-A

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections