– Smoothing hand-drawn outlines (ie, cartoons)…

K
Posted By
Koenraad
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
studio
Jun 7, 2004
in article k84xc.63434$, Jon Yeager at
wrote on 06/07/2004 1:23 PM:

I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

Post a copy of the image to a web site.
T
tacitr
Jun 7, 2004

Trace the scan in Illustrator, or even use the (now-defunct) Streamline raster-to-vector application. You’ll get better results with less work than you will with Photoshop.

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
Rick
Jun 7, 2004
"Jon Yeager" wrote in message

I came across this little gem while trying to convert some raster logos to vector: http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

Rick
R
Rick
Jun 7, 2004
"Rick" wrote in message

I came across this little gem while trying to convert some raster logos to vector: http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

Also see http://delineate.sourceforge.net/ which is a front end for potrace.

Rick
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 8, 2004
I use CorelTrace to make an eps of line art.

Thanks.

R
Rick
Jun 8, 2004
I’ve never gotten CorelTrace to work for shit.

Rick

"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message

Thanks.

G
gareeeNospam!
Jun 8, 2004
"Tacit" wrote in message

Trace the scan in Illustrator….

Does Illustrator have a auto trace function? I’ve never tried it, but that would come in handy for my *real* hand drawn line art…

Gareee
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 8, 2004
The only trouble I have with it is that it saves as ai version 7. I suppose an updated version would do better. It has a lot of settings…perhaps you just haven’t found the right ones for what you are doing. But, I am open to trying something different. I used CorelDraw a long time ago and liked it…but now I use mostly Adobe products. Almost never use Corel Draw anymore so I guess I keep it installed for the Tracing….so if Adobe made something that would do the job…that would be fine with me.

"Rick" wrote in message

Rick

I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little
bump I
don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning
cartoon-style
black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 8, 2004
"Rick" wrote in message

Rick

I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little
bump I
don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning
cartoon-style
black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

M
Mike
Jun 8, 2004
in article k84xc.63434$, Jon Yeager at
wrote on 06/07/2004 1:23 PM:

Thanks.

http://www.artistmike.com/VectorizationService/1.html
F0
FX_05
Jun 8, 2004
hehehe :-)…. streamline may not have been updated since long and called defunct by some but it still has got some use. even today.

Cheers
fx_05
WO
Wizard of Draws
Jun 8, 2004
On 6/8/04 4:46 PM, in article ca64n1$snv$, "fx_05" wrote:

hehehe :-)…. streamline may not have been updated since long and called defunct by some but it still has got some use. even today.
Cheers
fx_05

All of my hand-drawn cartoons are turned into vector files using Streamline. I scan, cleanup in Photoshop, Streamline to vector, knockout holes and tweak lines in Illustrator, then back into Photoshop for coloring.

Illustrator’s trace function doesn’t provide enough control and is too time/labor intensive.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
www.wizardofdraws.com
www.cartoonclipart.com
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks all for the Streamline idea…I am checking it out and it seems to do the job very well….It should be a part of CS.

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in message
On 6/8/04 4:46 PM, in article ca64n1$snv$, "fx_05" wrote:

hehehe :-)…. streamline may not have been updated since long and
called
defunct by some but it still has got some use. even today.
Cheers
fx_05

All of my hand-drawn cartoons are turned into vector files using
Streamline.
I scan, cleanup in Photoshop, Streamline to vector, knockout holes and
tweak
lines in Illustrator, then back into Photoshop for coloring.
Illustrator’s trace function doesn’t provide enough control and is too time/labor intensive.

Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections