– Smoothing hand-drawn outlines (ie, cartoons)

K
Posted By
Koenraad
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jrzyguy
Jun 7, 2004
i would suggest tracing the cartoon either in illustrator, corel draw or freehand (which ever you feel comfortable with and/or have access to)…..i guess you could try using the pen tool in PS…but its not quite as flexible.

jj
"Jon Yeager" wrote in message
I have some cartoon-style art (outline only) that is really not smooth enough. I thought of scanning it and manually erasing every little bump I don’t like, but that would take forever.

Anyone have any alternate suggestions for me? I’m scanning cartoon-style black outlines and would like the end result to be smooth (ideally in vector, but smoothing it in process color is fine too).

Thanks.

NE
no_email
Jun 7, 2004
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:13:24 -0400, "Jon Yeager" wrote:

Thanks.

This may help a little: http://www.kalilight.com/nsites/kpt/kpt4.htm

Smeltsmoke
MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 8, 2004
my own method is to bring the line art into Flash , run the ‘trace bitmap’ tool [under the modify menu] and then use the Smooth modifier tool to take out un-wanted bumps. YOu can get some lovely finishes using this app…

If you need me to expand , let me know, hth

mart

ZONED! wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:13:24 -0400, "Jon Yeager" wrote:

Thanks.

This may help a little: http://www.kalilight.com/nsites/kpt/kpt4.htm

Smeltsmoke
K
Koenraad
Jun 9, 2004
That explains why all Flash animations seem drawn by the same smoothness-conscious artists. I *knew* there had to be a smoothing tool in Flash.

Why doesn’t such a thing exist in Adobe products?

"Martin Chiselwitt" wrote in message
my own method is to bring the line art into Flash , run the ‘trace bitmap’ tool [under the modify menu] and then use the Smooth modifier tool to take out un-wanted bumps. YOu can get some lovely finishes using this app…

mart
MC
marin chiselwitt
Jun 10, 2004
Jon Yeager wrote:
That explains why all Flash animations seem drawn by the same smoothness-conscious artists. I *knew* there had to be a smoothing tool in Flash.

Why doesn’t such a thing exist in Adobe products?

Because Flash is a Vector Drawing app… Photoshop is a bitmap editor..
[primarily, although there are some basic vector tools]…

There is a vector tool suite for Photoshop – it is called Illustrator! 🙂

mart

"Martin Chiselwitt" wrote in message

mart

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections