R
Posted By
RONALDJACKSON
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am designing a web page but I need to know how to "lift" the subject of a photo from it’s background to produce an outline drawing so that I can label it.
Regards
To all
Ron

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 27, 2003
Ron,
I don’t know just what you mean by an "outline drawing." To separate the subject from the background, do the following:
Open image
Drag down layers palette and duplicate image
With duplicate image active, select subject with lasso tool or magnetic lasso Once selection is complete (see marching ants), go to select>inverse Hit delete on keyboard. You now have subject isolated.
If you need additional guidance, please repost.
Ken
R
RONALDJACKSON
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks for the reply Ken. I would like to show all the "lines" on a picture of a truck so it looks like a wire skeleton or in other words If I had traced the major edges from my photo using Tracing paper.
Regards
Ronald
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 28, 2003
Ronald there are several methods to do an outline. If you are on Window I can sujest a really good free plug-in, otherwise there is a method of doing it with the original packaged filters.

First the suggested plug-in is Outliner 4, a DC Special filter. It can be found at <http://freephotoshop.com>. Did I mention they are freeware.

Here’s the method…got out of my book by Scott Kelby.

1. Open picture

2. Go to filter menu…select stylize>find edges

3. To reduce color distortion make a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and minimize the Saturation.

4. Use levels to clean up image.

5. To thicken lines up, duplicate image and put in Multiply mode.

This will create a black and white outline of your image. If you want a trace of original color…duplicate image in step one and turn off eye. Then in step 6 you would turn the eye back on, put image in normal mode, then reduce opacity of this layer to give yourself the desired amount of coloration. I hope this helps.

Terri
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 28, 2003
This is has to be in the top ten most frequently asked questions. 🙂 And each time it’s asked, I learn a new technique! Here’s my *current* favorite method for creating an outline drawing of a photo:

With your image open…
1. Convert the image to grayscale. Image menu->Mode->Grayscale.

2. Filter->Blur->Smart Blur. This will open the Smart Blur dialog box. In the drop down lists at the bottom of the box, change the Quality to High and the Mode to Edge only. Set the Radius slider somewhere between 2.5 to 3.5, depending on how detailed you want the lines. Set the Threshold setting to about 25.0, or play with it until you get the effect you want. When you’re done, click OK to apply.

3. Invert the image. On the Image menu->Adjustments->Invert. Or use the shortcut key, CTRL+I.

This usually gives you a nice outline image, but if you need the lines thicker or darker, try using Filter->Artistic->Poster Edges AFTER you do the Smart Blur method.

Patti
R
RONALDJACKSON
Dec 28, 2003
Thank you all very much. All the best for the New Year.
Regards
Ronald
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 28, 2003
Hey Patti … that is neat. I have copied it into my file.

Thanks
Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 28, 2003
I tend to have luck with the ‘ink outlines’ filter but first I desaturate the image and raise the contrast a little before using the filter. Sometimes I apply the threshold adjustment layer afterwards depending on the image and the look I’m after.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks for the tip Jodi … I will give it a try. If I can stop making gradients 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 29, 2003
Hi Terri and Patti, I tried both your methods on a feathery mimosa leaf, and both came out really lovely.
This is one of the things that is so neat about PSE, many different ways to accomplish similar things. And so many neat suggestions and tutorials!
Thanks!
Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections