Posted By
Tim_Francis
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a new mid range flatbed scanner which will be used for graphic design purposes.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

(Previously owned a HP 5400C but when Vista came out HP decided not to update their drivers for the device to cope with the new O/S)

Any help would be great

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 17, 2008
Epson V700 no question.

I wish my present scanner would break so I could justify one for myself!
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 18, 2008
I thought mine did, but a re install of the Software fixed it. 🙁
CH
CR_Henderson
Dec 18, 2008
John Joslin:Epson V700 no question.

And if that may seem to be too much cost/capability–the V500 is a pretty good low cost scanner. I was able to create a .dng profile for it–I scan primarily to RAW in the form of a .dng file using VueScan.
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 19, 2008
I have a V500 and it does work well. I think Staples has it on sale for $200.00. The V700-V750 are better but price is considerably higher. It all depends on your needs.
Q
F
Freeagent
Dec 19, 2008
Me too.

I’ve had HP and Canon, and with those I always had to scan color transparencies twice – once for highlights and once for shadows, and combine them in Photoshop. That was a lot of work because they somehow never matched perfectly.

But the dynamic range of the Epson handles everything I’ve thrown at it in one scan without any clipping at either end, and with shadow detail to spare.

There’s a bit of noise in the shadows to be sure, but it’s very crisp and easy to deal with.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 19, 2008
Hae anyone replaced the 3200 with the V500 and found it better?
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 19, 2008
I wish my present scanner would break

Well that can be arranged! 😎

Rob
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 19, 2008
🙂
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
I don’t scan much so I got an Epson 4490 for about $130

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections