Best Workflow for Batch Scanning Photos with CS?

JS
Posted By
Jonathan_Schmidt
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for ideas on the best way to batch scan photos. I have a ton of family photos that I want to scan and archive. I am using an HP ScanJet 8250.

I have PhotoShop CS so I think that File -> Automate -> Crop and Straighten Photos is probably the best way to scan multiple photos and then separate them? The ADF doesn’t work reliably with photos so I need to use the flatbed.

What is the esasiest/best way to bring the photos into PS in the first place? Should I use the WIA or TWAIN drivers?

What is the easiest way to save the photos that result from the Crop and Straighten command with a numerical increment (like scan0001, scan0002, etc.)? I can’t seem to find an automated way to do this.

What resolution should I use? I’m thinking 300dpi is best? Most photos are 4×6 or 4×4.

What file format should I use? I was thinking JPG at a high quality setting is probably good enough for my purposes. This is just for organizing and having the ability to print decent quality scans.

Any other helpful advice for a project like this?

Thanks!

Jonathan Schmidt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
povimage
Jun 17, 2004
Have someone else scan them for you?

Keith
JS
Jonathan_Schmidt
Jun 17, 2004
Thanks, but I’m interested in doing this myself. I have a good scanner and the best software. I’m looking for the best process.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections