M
Posted By
MrsBeebleBrock
Oct 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, are there any tips for when you are given photos of grey items which have been photographed against a white background, whose shadows are the same grey as the images you are trying to extract?

The extract filter does a nice job on most of the images, but some edges are transparent and the clean up tools are only available until you hit "okay" – eg before you’ve seen the results.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jo

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

F
Frogiswrong
Oct 21, 2003
try duplicating a channel and changing the contrast of it till a difference is noticed between the areas you need and dont need then use this corrected channel to make a mask.

"MrsBeebleBrock" wrote in message
Hi, are there any tips for when you are given photos of grey items which have been photographed against a white background, whose shadows are the same grey as the images you are trying to extract?

The extract filter does a nice job on most of the images, but some edges are transparent and the clean up tools are only available until you hit "okay" – eg before you’ve seen the results.

Jo
M
MrsBeebleBrock
Oct 21, 2003
Hmm. Okay, I’ll have a look in the help files about duplicating channels. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jo

Frogiswrong wrote:
try duplicating a channel and changing the contrast of it till a difference is noticed between the areas you need and dont need then use this corrected channel to make a mask.

"MrsBeebleBrock" wrote in message

Jo

S
Skip
Oct 21, 2003
Jo
After you fill your selection with the paint bucket, Click on "preview" instead of "OK"

Hope this helps

Kev
M
MrsBeebleBrock
Oct 21, 2003
Hi Kev, yes, that combined with the shift key to highlight in a straight line helps. It’s still a difficult thing to master though.

I also have Corel Knockout but that’s even more mystifying.

Thanks,
Jo

Skip wrote:
Jo
After you fill your selection with the paint bucket, Click on "preview" instead of "OK"

Hope this helps

Kev

S
Skip
Oct 21, 2003
Jo

I have knockout 2 but I need help with that………lol
When using Extract I change the backgrounds…….transparent….white and black to see which helps best. Don’t forget the alt. key for reversing the effects.

Kev
M
MrsBeebleBrock
Oct 22, 2003
Hi Kev, Knockout 1.5 has really dodgy help files. And the tutorials leave out crucial bits of information. Sounds like 2 is no easier to learn.

Jo

Skip wrote:
Jo

I have knockout 2 but I need help with that………lol
When using Extract I change the backgrounds…….transparent….white and black to see which helps best. Don’t forget the alt. key for reversing the effects.

Kev

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections