S
Posted By
sjprg
Dec 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was trying to use the "extract" filter in CS and found that it only works in 8 bit mode. I thought that CS had updated all the functions to 16 bit. I guess not. That seems to mean that I must do everything else to the image before I extract. What happens to the image when you go to 8 bit and then go back to 16 bit? Seems to me you would lose data.
Paul

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

L
LenHewitt
Dec 13, 2003
Paul,

As I understand it, you lose data when converting to 8-bit, but there is no further loss thereafter. You can switch between 16 and 8-bit as often as required following the initial conversion to 8-bit
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 13, 2003
Adobe never said that everything in CS with 16-bit compatible. They said 16-bit was expanded. I suspect that with the number of people loving the new 16-bit support that they next version will finish this off. Which will be good and about time.

Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections