Posted By
Joe
Sep 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All,

This is my first post to this board; hoping someone can help me with my attempt to digitize my product line. The pics will be used for point of sale and web based design.

So, here’s what I CAN do. I’ve been able to (using the magic wand and eraser) select the background (which was whiteboard) and essentailly delete it, so that all that’s left on the canvas is the image of my product. Now I can take this image and copy it and paste it and generally move it around, but I would like to save it on its own as a JPEG. This way whe I import it into other programs I don’t have the white canvas behind it, just the image of the product. This allows me to use the image on different backgrounds and even tectured backgrounds without having to touch-up the canvas colour in photoshop first.

This has to be simple to do, but I just can’t figure out how.

Thx,

Andrew

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Roberto
Sep 14, 2005
"Joe" wrote in message
[…] Now I can take this image and copy it and paste it and generally move it around, but I would like to save it on its own as a JPEG. This way whe I import it into other programs I don’t have the white canvas behind it, just the image of the product. […]

You really want GIF format which supports transparency. JPEG does not.

If you want, you can take the easy way. Help – Export Transparent Image. It’s a little wizard that guides you through it. Or use File – Save for Web and choose GIF with transparency checked and Matt as None.
R
RSD99
Sep 14, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
[…] Now I can take this image and copy it and paste it and generally move it around, but I would like to save it on its own as a JPEG. This way whe I import it into other programs I don’t have the white canvas behind it, just the image of the product. […]

You really want GIF format which supports transparency. JPEG does not.
If you want, you can take the easy way. Help – Export Transparent Image. It’s a little wizard that guides you through it. Or use File – Save for
Web
and choose GIF with transparency checked and Matt as None.

Actually, the 256 indexed color pallet of a GIF file may not work very well with product illustrations.

Check out either the PNG file format or the (old standby) TARGA file format. These are the only file formats that I know of that can save a full 24-bit image with transparency (also called an ‘Alpha Layer’).

Other than that, you will need to create a clipping path, and save the image(s) as EPS raster graphics with a clipping path.
J
Jill
Sep 14, 2005
What steps would I take through Photoshop to get this done? I followed Lorem’s instructions and was able to generate the transparent GIF, but you’re right about the quality being poorer than I’d like it for printing.

Thx,

A
NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Sep 14, 2005
RSD99 wrote:
Check out either the PNG file format or the (old standby) TARGA file format. These are the only file formats that I know of that can save a full 24-bit image with transparency (also called an ‘Alpha Layer’).

And say goodbye to your Internet Explorer users. AFAIK, IE doesn’t properly support PNG alpha channels.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
AB
Andy Bearsley
Sep 14, 2005
Yup, IE6 at least supports alpha’d PNG. You can test your browser’s compatability here:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha.html

Andy B

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote in message
RSD99 wrote:
Check out either the PNG file format or the (old standby) TARGA file format. These are the only file formats that I know of that can save a
full
24-bit image with transparency (also called an ‘Alpha Layer’).

And say goodbye to your Internet Explorer users. AFAIK, IE doesn’t properly support PNG alpha channels.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
AB
Andy Bearsley
Sep 14, 2005
Oops, sorry, I mis-interpreted the result. It doesn’t correctly support alpha, except to alpha the PNG to its own background colour (which of course is useless for web pages).
So you’re correct in that IE will not alpha PNGs correctly. Support is planned for IE7 for alpha’d PNGs

Andy B

"Andy Bearsley" wrote in message
Yup, IE6 at least supports alpha’d PNG. You can test your browser’s compatability here:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/inline-alpha.html

Andy B

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote in message
RSD99 wrote:
Check out either the PNG file format or the (old standby) TARGA file format. These are the only file formats that I know of that can save a
full
24-bit image with transparency (also called an ‘Alpha Layer’).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

E
edjh
Sep 14, 2005
Andy Bearsley wrote:
Oops, sorry, I mis-interpreted the result. It doesn’t correctly support alpha, except to alpha the PNG to its own background colour (which of course is useless for web pages).
So you’re correct in that IE will not alpha PNGs correctly. Support is planned for IE7 for alpha’d PNGs

/snip/

Doesn’t matter. She’s asking about PRINT.

Shouldn’t be using png, gif or jpg. Use tiff or eps. It should be in a layout program. If InDesign, you can use a transparent psd. If Quark you will have to make a Clipping Path.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
R
RSD99
Sep 14, 2005
"Jill" wrote in message
What steps would I take through Photoshop to get this done? I followed Lorem’s instructions and was able to generate the transparent GIF, but you’re right about the quality being poorer than I’d like it for
printing.
Thx,

A

I found quite a few tutorials by using my favorite local search engine and the Boolean search string

"clipping path" and tutorial and EPS

Most of these ‘finds’ looked like they would provide much better instruction than I could in a newsgroup posting. For instance, the following URLs appeared on the first page of my search:

http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/knockout.asp?knockout=clippath

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/clippingpaths/ss/clippingpath _6.htm

http://www.sketchpad.net/eps1.htm

http://www.dtp-aus.com/paths.html
H
Hecate
Sep 15, 2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:17:57 +1200, "Andy Bearsley" wrote:

And support was planned for IE 4, IE 5, IE 5.5 and IE 6. what does that tell you about the likelihood of it being in IE 7? 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
R
RSD99
Sep 15, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message

And support was planned for IE 4, IE 5, IE 5.5 and IE 6. what does that tell you about the likelihood of it being in IE 7? 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

Since Micro$cum didn’t invent (develop) PNG, the NIH factor is very large. IMHO: They **might** get it right by IE version 12 or 13 … roughly the same time as when they will add support for the yEnc encoding algorithm in their Outlook Depress newsreader software!
H
Hecate
Sep 18, 2005
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:55:09 GMT, "RSD99"
wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message

Hecate – The Real One

Since Micro$cum didn’t invent (develop) PNG, the NIH factor is very large. IMHO: They **might** get it right by IE version 12 or 13 … roughly the same time as when they will add support for the yEnc encoding algorithm in their Outlook Depress newsreader software!
Yep 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections