MS
Posted By
Martin_Stephen_Lindsay
Aug 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS3 gives a msg saying "Some postscript specific print settings (interpolation, calibration, encoding) will be ignored since you are printing to a non-PostScript printer".

Did not get this msg with CS2. Should I download Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 – English or will this prevent the canon pixma printer from working properly or is this additional software just a way for CS3 to communicate with the printer & will not affect printing from say MS Word etc

Dont understand any of it – pls advice – thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
Aug 14, 2008
wrote in message
Photoshop CS3 gives a msg saying "Some postscript specific print settings (interpolation, calibration, encoding) will be ignored since you are printing to a non-PostScript printer".

Did not get this msg with CS2. Should I download Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.6 – English or will this prevent the canon pixma printer from working properly or is this additional software just a way for CS3 to communicate with the printer & will not affect printing from say MS Word etc

Dont understand any of it – pls advice – thanks
Yes, it certainly does if you are printing to a non postscript device. If I am not mistaken, this message comes from the printer driver, and it is telling you what it is doing.
In your case, the message is merely an advisory post. The message can be disabled.
Unless your canon printer understands postscript, only bad things can happen if you try to print with postscript imbedded commands in the print file. Thus, you should not attempt to print a postscript file from whatever source.
So, I see no need for any more software.
Jim
M
Mylenium
Aug 18, 2008
Don’t worry about this stuff. You can disable these warnings mostly by simply turning off vector output in the print dialog. Just like most other inkjet printers, Pixmas are merely GDI+ printers with optional PCL emulation in some cases, so installing PostScript extensions wouldn’t do much.

Mylenium
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 20, 2008
There are only two uses you could have for the Adobe generic postscript printer driver if you don’t have a postscript printer. One is to be able to output postscript to a file, for use on another computer with a postscript printer; the other is to serve as a dummy default printer driver with output going nowhere, which some people have found to speed up and reduce problems with file opening in Photoshop.

The generic postscript driver will not change what gets sent to your non-postscript printer in any way.
MS
Martin_Stephen_Lindsay
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks Mylenium and Michael
KH
Kevin_Hatch
Aug 21, 2008
I get the same message, did not with CS2, but unfortunately I also now get very low print quality from Photoshop CS3. Workaround is to print to PDF from Photoshop and then print to my PostScript printer from Acrobat. I have the default CS3, patched up to current version. Is there a setting I can use to fix the printing problem? Ignoring the error doesn’t improve the print.
RD
Rosemary_Dardick
Sep 12, 2008
I’m having the same problem with one of my computers, no problem at all when I print from my desktop but whenever I print from my laptop, I get the same error–what can I do???

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections