T
Posted By
truck
Mar 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here’s the deal: I have 200 different personalized business cards i’m trying to print out, and rather than changing each layer then printing, etc, i’d love to have it streamlined so Photoshop prints 200 times, but each time just scrolls through the different name layers, that way I can just let it do it’s thing… Is there a script or any sort of way I can do this without having to do it manually?

Truck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Mar 30, 2006
wrote in message
Here’s the deal: I have 200 different personalized business cards i’m trying to print out, and rather than changing each layer then printing, etc, i’d love to have it streamlined so Photoshop prints 200 times, but each time just scrolls through the different name layers, that way I can just let it do it’s thing… Is there a script or any sort of way I can do this without having to do it manually?

No script needed. Search this group for a solution I posted a couple months ago. It uses ImageReady’s data-driven facility, which is built to handle such things. If you don’t find it, nudge and I will try to find it for you. It would help if the names were in Excel or something.

Or maybe you could use Word and Sort/Merge. 🙂 (Word is lousy with images.)
T
truck
Mar 30, 2006
Hmm I think I found your post but i don’t think it really addresses what I want to do. Basically by using this card printer, if I printed each card 1 by 1, it’d take probably 2 minutes per card since the printer has to recalibrate every time a new print is initiated. Basically what I want to know: Is it possible to have photoshop print off 200 copies of this card, but somehow go through each different name layer automatically, so each card has a different name on it. Doing this manually would take a long long long time, which is why i’m asking.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Mar 31, 2006
wrote in message
Hmm I think I found your post but i don’t think it really addresses what I want to do. Basically by using this card printer, if I printed each card 1 by 1, it’d take probably 2 minutes per card since the printer has to recalibrate every time a new print is initiated. Basically what I want to know: Is it possible to have photoshop print off 200 copies of this card, but somehow go through each different name layer automatically, so each card has a different name on it. Doing this manually would take a long long long time, which is why i’m asking.
T,

Your problem is is that to print anything, it is a filename that is delivered via the spooler to the printer driver not a layer name. If you had 200 cards, each existing as a file, what you want to do would be very simple. You need to convert the layers into file, luckily, File>scripts>export layers to files does exactly that. Save these files in ther own folder and then have a look at the Automate>Batch options to print out the resulting files.

HTH
MH
Mar 31, 2006
Okay, here’s the trick I posted last year.

CHEAP AND DIRTY way that works if you want to do it WITHOUT SCRIPTING. The results are the same.

First, load up the list of names into something like Excel, or use Notebook, Word, whatever you like and insert :"X," as the first, then a comma between each name.

Like X, John Smith, Jill Baker, Sarah Navigator

Then save that file as comma delimited.

Now…
Open ImageReady (it comes with Photoshop).
Open the image you want to fill in with the names.
Create a new layer.
Type "X" in it with the text centered or justifed, whatever. (This X will be replaced.)

Then right-click on that layer – to the right of the icon. (there are two right-click options. You must click to the right of the icon.) Take the Variables option.
In the first window, click on the lower option for [X] Text Replacement Then type the word X in the text box
press the NEXT button
Then in the window that shows next, press IMPORT
find the file you just created and press Open

To be safe, now save the file.

Finally, under the menu File – Export – Data Sets as Files press OKAY

Wait a couple minutes and you will have the photoshop images, each with a single text layer containing the name .

(In the last dialog – Export – you can change the naming convention to what you like. It doesn’t change the contents of the image. You can also use CS’s Browser to rename the files afterwards and batch the whole group of images to JPEG or GIF if you like. Alternatively, there’s a free Droplet in Photoshop’s "Samples" folder that will do this. Just drag it into the folder, then drag all your files onto it.)

How’s that for working around scripting? 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections