BH
Posted By
Bart_Hickman
Feb 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For raster layers that are partly transparent, the lens blur filter is creating halos. It’s hard to describe in words, so here are instructions on how to cause the symptom.

1. Create a blank file (say, 500×500 pixels)
2. Add a solid black color fill layer.
3. Above that create a blank (transparent) raster layer. Make sure that layer is the active layer
4. Use the rectangular marquee tool to select roughly 250×250 pixel rectangle.
5. Fill that rectangle with black.

At this point you should have two layers. The bottom layer is solid black, and the top layer is a black square. So it all looks black.

6. Do a lens blur on the raster layer with the black rectangle. It doesn’t really matter what the lens blur parameters are–just make sure you make the rectangle fairly blurry–maybe 25-50 radius.

Now you know longer see pure black. As the lens blur filter blurred the rectangle into the transparent parts of the raster layer, it added in some lighter non-black colors. For comparison sake, regular Gaussian blur doesn’t have this problem.

Up until CS3, lens blur was totally unable to blur the transparency of a layer. Now it’s able to blur transparency, but in so doing, it’s contaminating the image with some white color (if you do the above experiment with white on white, there’s no problems.)

Another interesting trait–this only happens if the object being blurred has sharp edges–ie., the transparency goes from 0% to 100% with no in-between transparencies. So if you barely feather or blur the edges of the object with a minute amount of, say, Gaussian blur (0.2 pixel), then apply the lens blur, the halo problem doesn’t occur.

Bart

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Feb 1, 2008
Bart,

The Lens Blur resembles blur following a lens bokeh curve, while Gaussian follows a bell shaped curve.

IMO, this means that the cross section envelope of a lens blur (luminance as function of X-axis) looks more like a flat topped mountain.

Re-reading the above makes me feel a bit ridiculous, but maybe its clear.

Rob
BH
Bart_Hickman
Feb 1, 2008
Rob,

I’m not complaining about the shape of the filter–I know it’s not the same as a Gaussian blur. I’m complaining that the filter isn’t just blurring–it’s also adding new colors to the resultant image when there are transparent sections in the image.

I only used the Gaussian blur as a way of smoothing alpha channel of the layer. Do so seems to make the phenomenon go away in the example I gave . Actually, I figured out later that it didn’t fix the problem–it just inverted it. Now if you do the experiment I described except use the color white, the lens blur will cause some grey color contamination.

Bart

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections