SM
Posted By
Stuart_McCoy
Sep 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a 72dpi image for a website and I need to recreate it at a higher resolution. The image is a 6×7 matrix of colored blocks with a lens blur applied. The effect blows out a couple color blocks on the edges and blurs the rest from just off center out (you can see the original file at monderer.com <http://www.monderer.com>). I recreated the colored blocks in a 300dpi and started working with another 72dpi version of the file to determine the best settings to recreate the effect. I came very close and switched over to the 300dpi file, copied the alpha channel from the 72dpi to the 300dpi file, then applied the lens blur effect to the colored block layer. I’m getting completely different results, however. The blur works as expects, though it is considerably softer and less pronounced, but I’m not able to get the blown out squares no matter how hard I try. Shouldn’t the lens blur work the same regardless of image resolution? If not why and is there a way around this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
I suspect you may have to increase the radius proportionally to your resolution
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Sep 19, 2006
I can’t increase it much more (it’s already at 8 of 100) and if I max it out it has little to no effect on the results. I’ve tried adjusting the threshold al the way down to 0 (from 203); nothing.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
If the radius is at 8, increase it proportionally (should bring it to about 30) don’t touch anything else.
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Sep 19, 2006
Sorry, that was a typo (damn mac keyboards). It’s at 88 of 100.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
You may want to try a selection (based on the same channel you use for the lens blur) and apply a gaussian blur to it.

Or try and apply the lens blur multiple times
SM
Stuart_McCoy
Sep 19, 2006
It turns out that the preview window was too small and rendering much smaller than I realized. No need to apply the lens blur twice or anything else. Boy was that an annoying little problem. I’m glad the "fix" was this easy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections