Posted By
Al
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
Can anyone point me in the direction of step by step instructions on getting a graduated lens blur.
Thanks
Alastair

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
tom187
Feb 5, 2004
"Al" wrote:

Hi
Can anyone point me in the direction of step by step instructions on getting a graduated lens blur.
Thanks
Alastair

Are you referring to an effect where the actual amount of blur occurs as a gradient, such as simulating depth-of-field? As of Version 7 there isn’t really a way to achieve this.

You can do a poor simulation of a gradient blur by duplicating your sharp layer, blurring one of the two layers and applying a gradient layer mask to the upper layer. This "reveals" the blur (or the sharp version, depending upon which layer is on top and masked) gradually across the image. It doesn’t change the actual size of the blur, just crudely imitates the effect by revealing it gradually.

Others may know a better way.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
A
Al
Feb 5, 2004
Thanks Tom
I should have said it was the lens blur feature in CS. I understand there is a method where you create an alpha channel, graduate it and apply lens blur to get a graduation from "in focus" to blur. I just don’t seem able to get it to work.
regards
Alastair
"Tom Thomas" wrote in message
"Al" wrote:

Hi
Can anyone point me in the direction of step by step instructions on
getting
a graduated lens blur.
Thanks
Alastair

Are you referring to an effect where the actual amount of blur occurs as a gradient, such as simulating depth-of-field? As of Version 7 there isn’t really a way to achieve this.

You can do a poor simulation of a gradient blur by duplicating your sharp layer, blurring one of the two layers and applying a gradient layer mask to the upper layer. This "reveals" the blur (or the sharp version, depending upon which layer is on top and masked) gradually across the image. It doesn’t change the actual size of the blur, just crudely imitates the effect by revealing it gradually.

Others may know a better way.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
DC
Doug Chaplin
Feb 5, 2004
"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Tom
I should have said it was the lens blur feature in CS. I understand there
is
a method where you create an alpha channel, graduate it and apply lens
blur
to get a graduation from "in focus" to blur. I just don’t seem able to get it to work.
regards
Alastair

Create the alpha channel, as you want it, then call up the Lens Blur filter dialogue, and the drop down menu for Depth Map will have your alpha channel listed, so you can apply it as you need.

Doug
A
Al
Feb 6, 2004
Thanks Doug
Don’t know where I am going wrong but all I am getting is a graduated darkening of the image without any blur – any Ideas?
Regards
Alastair
"Doug Chaplin" wrote in message
"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Tom
I should have said it was the lens blur feature in CS. I understand
there
is
a method where you create an alpha channel, graduate it and apply lens
blur
to get a graduation from "in focus" to blur. I just don’t seem able to
get
it to work.
regards
Alastair

Create the alpha channel, as you want it, then call up the Lens Blur
filter
dialogue, and the drop down menu for Depth Map will have your alpha
channel
listed, so you can apply it as you need.

Doug

DC
Doug Chaplin
Feb 6, 2004
"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Doug
Don’t know where I am going wrong but all I am getting is a graduated darkening of the image without any blur – any Ideas?
Regards
Sorry, no idea – have you tried deleting your preferences file and recreating it? It seems to fix a remarkable number of problems in PS.

Doug
F
Flycaster
Feb 6, 2004
"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Doug
Regards
Sorry, no idea – have you tried deleting your preferences file and recreating it? It seems to fix a remarkable number of problems in PS.

It sounds like he applied the gradient to the layer rather than to the mask.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
A
Al
Feb 6, 2004
I applied the gradient to the alpha channel I created to which I then applied the lens blur.
"Flycaster" wrote in message
"Al" wrote in message
Thanks Doug
Regards

It sounds like he applied the gradient to the layer rather than to the
mask.
—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
F
Flycaster
Feb 6, 2004
"Al" wrote in message
I applied the gradient to the alpha channel I created to which I then applied the lens blur.

OK, let’s do a quick test: Open any simple image with a flattened background, create your mask-alpha channel] (quick mask will do), save it, leave quick mask, open lens blur, select the saved mask-alpha channel, apply the lens blur and look at the preview window.

If it works like it should, go back and debug your previous workflow. If it doesn’t, take Doug’s advice and trash the prefs file and try again.

A
Al
Feb 7, 2004
Thanks for all your help
I’m not there yet, but will keep trying
Alastair
"Flycaster" wrote in message
"Al" wrote in message

OK, let’s do a quick test: Open any simple image with a flattened background, create your mask-alpha channel] (quick mask will do), save it, leave quick mask, open lens blur, select the saved mask-alpha channel,
apply
the lens blur and look at the preview window.

If it works like it should, go back and debug your previous workflow. If
it
doesn’t, take Doug’s advice and trash the prefs file and try again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections