J
Posted By
jonf
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know lens flare is is an overused filter, but I need to ask…

The "render" filters only seem to work on areas of a layer that are already filled with pixels. Is there any way to get the lens flare or lighting effect into a layer that could be moved around and transformed at will, to apply transparently to the underlying layers? The best I’ve come up with is to apply the effects onto a black layer, then set the layer transparency to "lighten." This works pretty well, but you can’t adjust the brightness of the lens flare or lighting effect without also lightening your black, which can destroy the effect (since it will lighten all underlying blacks in the process).

Is there a better way I haven’t figured out? Or is this more of a feature request?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
barry_gray
Apr 28, 2004
This is will work,
Down load "Peel Off White" filter here:
<http://www.bergdesign.com/plugins/>
It doesn’t work in OSX- you’ll have to use PS7 in classic-unless he’s written it for OSX by now. Black layer>flare>invert>peel off white>invert.

You could also try "advanced blending mode" in the styles dialog. Pull Black slider all the way to the right> opt. click slider to split and drag the half back to the left. Then apply Levels to bring up your flare.
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 28, 2004
I’d use Screen mode before Lighten. Brighter highlights, deeper black. You can "compound" the flare by duplicating the layer it’s on.
J
jonf
Apr 29, 2004
Doug … great suggestion. I’m also going to download that Peel off white plugin though, for other reasons. I’ve needed that capability for a long time. That ability should be built into Photoshop. (Looks like he has it available for OSX now)
L
Lando
Apr 30, 2004
Add a layer and fill with 50% gray. Change it’s mode to hard light. Apply the filter. You can move the flare around the page that way.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 1, 2004
Lando – it’s more accurate using black and screen blend mode (which is exactly what Lens Flare does).

Lighting Effects needs some pixel content to work on…
L
Lando
May 1, 2004
Wow. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections