Posted By
Duane Lee
Jun 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Cropping irregular shapes
Can someone out there help with what I’m sure is a simple task for those who know Photo Shop –obviously, by my asking the question, I do not.
I have a newspaper article that scanned and then given to me. I want to manipulate in Photo Shop prior to including it in a slide show. The article headline is 5 columns wide. The desired article beneath is 3 columns wide with the other two columns filed with advertisements and other undesirable material. I am wanting to “crop out” or eliminate those adjoining “undesirable” columns. I cannot do it by using the standard cropping tool – at least with my knowledge. Help, please, I know this should be an easy task for those in the know – unfortunately I am not such a person.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Jun 14, 2008
This is a Elements group. If you really have Photoshop not Elements you would be wise to check for a Photoshop group.

You might try looking up crop in your help file. You should be able to crop an irregular shape or to crop a series of regular shapes. As an alternative you may be able to create a layer and use opaque shapes to hide what you want to hide.

wrote in message
Can someone out there help with what I’m sure is a simple task for those who know Photo Shop –obviously, by my asking the question, I do not.
I have a newspaper article that scanned and then given to me. I want to manipulate in Photo Shop prior to including it in a slide show. The article headline is 5 columns wide. The desired article beneath is 3 columns wide with the other two columns filed with advertisements and other undesirable material. I am wanting to “crop out” or eliminate those adjoining “undesirable” columns. I cannot do it by using the standard cropping tool – at least with my knowledge. Help, please, I know this should be an easy task for those in the know – unfortunately I am not such a person.

Joseph Meehan

Dia ‘s Muire duit
C
Charley
Jun 15, 2008
wrote in message
Can someone out there help with what I
JA
Jay Argee
Jun 15, 2008
You can do it. Just uses the rectangular selection tool (we call them marching ants).

Make a duplicate of the layer and then turn off the original. Now use the selection tool to put boundaries around those sections you want to eliminate (one-at-a-time). Once you have the boundary, just press "delete" and go on to the next section.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jay Argee
Time may be a great healer, but it’s a rotten beautician

wrote in message
Can someone out there help with what I

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections