KM
Posted By
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m still very very new to photoshop. Sorry…but as topic says, how do I crop an image into a hexagon shape??
Very sorry for the dummy question!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 15, 2004
Hi Karouna,

Not to worry, weยดve all been new sometime.

The answer is that an image must be rectangular in shape. You can add a border to your image so it will look like a hexagonal shape, depending on which background your image is placed (white border+white background = illusion of hexagonal image).

Mathias
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
As Mathias says, images are actually rectangular regardles…

But you can make a shaped image with transparency around.

Try this:

1. freehand. Use Polygon Lasso. Draw hexgon. Select/Inverse. Delete. This makes hex image against background color if on background image. Or make background a layer first, and will leave hex against transparency.

2. Or (again make layer first or select background color if background image, like white).
Polygon Tool, Paths Icon in Options, sides: 6. Draw hex. Right click on what you’ve drawn/Make Selection/Select: Inverse/Delete.

If you’ve made white background will look hex image on white paper or background. If you’ve made transparent, will need to be saved in format that supports transparency, depending on what you’re using it for: TIFF, GIF, PNG.

M
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 15, 2004
Thank you Mac and Mathias,

I went the with polygonal lasso option. Such an easy task…I feel embarrassed…

Cheers….
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
I would have thought that would have been harder…
free hand and all, even contraining to 45 degree lines.

M
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 15, 2004
Your right Mac, but having problems with doing it through the 2nd option… when I right click on the shape, then select new selection – delete, a box pops up with "Could not complete your request because the contents of the layer is not directly editable."

What is causing this?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 15, 2004
it’s a standing solid vector object.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
Probably because you are not on the layer you drew it on, if you have more than one layer? Try changing layers in layer palette.

Or flatten image to begin with before make the hex shape?

Or…other reason I can’t think of right off?

M
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
Not when you convert to selection, as was one of the steps.

M
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 15, 2004
Mike

What does that mean?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
He didn’t note that we’re using Path option for shape, rather than fill pixels or shape layers option.

You can’t convert to selection from those, they make vector filled shapes.

M
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 15, 2004
You are trying to use a tool to edit an object that is not editable by that tool.

Flattening the image allows the tool to function for that object / layer or lack there of.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
I’m going to bed, yawn…

Try flattening your image before going through the same steps in orig post. Works for me.

If you want transparent around instead of background color for final cut, double click background layer after flattening all, to get single layer, and do those steps.

works for me…I’ll check in tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

M
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 15, 2004
this is driving me nuts…
I’ve flattened the image, yet the same error message appears. What am I doing wrong..?
If someone has the patience, can they please outline a step by step detailed procedure. I want to get to the buttom of this…

Cheers..
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 15, 2004
Well, let’s see…

I have an image open, happens to be RGB, no layers.
Works fine also if image is a single layer. The difference here is that final image will have background color around it if not a layer, will have transparent around it if a layer.
This is PS 7.

– choose Polygon tool
– In options bar at top, click Paths icon, the one in the middle between Shape Layers and Fill Pixels
– Set Sides to 6 in box
– Draw hexagon (hint: press space bar without letting go of mouse button to move around before completing)
– (additonal step, possibly) If you need to move, resize, rotate or whatever, you can select the polygon with the Path Selection Tool or Direct Selection Tool, and use Transform Path. Otherwise you don’t even need to use a selection tool.
– Right click in hexagon area/Make Selection/New Selection (only option available), set any feathering, anti-alias on or off.
– Hex is now a selection, has marching ants
– Now Select/Inverse. Everything outside the hex is selected. – Hit Delete key (or Edit/Clear)
– Maybe crop image to get ride of extra solid color around image.

Voila. Took a lot longer to type it than do it ๐Ÿ™‚

Again, this is Photoshop 7, perhaps CS behaves differently on some step?

And of course, I’m sure there are other ways to accomplish this, always are.

hth,
M
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 16, 2004
ok..I’ve done all that, but i’m having problems with making the background transparent. :s
KM
Karouna_Manikhot
Jun 16, 2004
ok…I’ve got it!!! Finally!!!
Thank you Mac for all your help and patience!!

Cheers
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 16, 2004
Good for you, Karouna..

M

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections