Posted By
Eric_Swanson
Oct 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I have scanned my 35mm slides using a automated scanner. The resulting jpg images have a partially black border and the actual image area is not rectangular (there are slightly rounded corners). I want to crop my scanned 35 mm slides so that I minimize the black border and fill the rounded corners either with solid black or to be transparent. I can create a shape using the custom shape tool that is a good fit to the non-rectangular image area I want to keep. How can I use this custom shape from the shape tool to crop the area outside the custom shape and have the corners either solid black or transparent? That is – I am trying to get a resulting image that is mainly actual image area execpt the corners which are filled with solid black or tranparency.

Thanks

Eric

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
wes
Oct 25, 2003
After you have drawn and positioned your shape, make it into a selection (right click and choose make selection), then hit Ctrl+Shift+I to invert the selection and hit delete. This will get rid of the black but will be filled with the background color which is probably white. You can double click on the background layer to make it into a regular layer, then when you delete, it will be empty.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 26, 2003
First, with your shape in place, Control+Click on its path in the Paths palette, to convert it to a selection. Then, Image > Crop. Finally, invert the selection, and Edit > Fill with black.

– John
ES
Eric_Swanson
Oct 29, 2003
John

Thank you very much for your help. It worked well. One more question. How can I "fill" with transparency instead of black?

Eric
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 30, 2003
Make sure it is a ‘Named’ layer, not ‘Background’ (double click on the layer in the palette), and instead of filling the selection in the last step, Delete it. Or, add a layer mask from the Layer menu, using ‘Hide Selection’, to keep it editable.
ES
Eric_Swanson
Oct 31, 2003
John, Thanks again.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections