B
Posted By
BRH
Dec 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me whether Adobe RGB Color Space is available on the Panasonic FZ7? I’m starting to use PS Elements to edit/print my photos and would like to calibrating everything (ie – camera, PSE and printers) to use Adobe RGB. (This was recommended in a PSE 5 book that I’ve bought.)

The manual for the camera doesn’t mention Adobe RGB (or even sRGB at all), so I’m wondering whether there is some "hidden" setting that I’m not aware of.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RG
Roy G
Dec 3, 2006
<BRH> wrote in message
Can anyone tell me whether Adobe RGB Color Space is available on the Panasonic FZ7? I’m starting to use PS Elements to edit/print my photos and would like to calibrating everything (ie – camera, PSE and printers) to use Adobe RGB. (This was recommended in a PSE 5 book that I’ve bought.)

The manual for the camera doesn’t mention Adobe RGB (or even sRGB at all), so I’m wondering whether there is some "hidden" setting that I’m not aware of.

Thanks!

Don’t know what your camera can do, BUT there is a lot more to Colour manageing than just setting everything to Adobe RGB.

For a start your Printer is extremely unlikely to offer Adobe RGB as a Print Option, and even if it did, that would be useless.

For a start, have a read at the Elements Help Files.

Roy G
B
BRH
Dec 4, 2006
Roy G wrote:
<BRH> wrote in message

Thanks!

Don’t know what your camera can do, BUT there is a lot more to Colour manageing than just setting everything to Adobe RGB.

For a start your Printer is extremely unlikely to offer Adobe RGB as a Print Option, and even if it did, that would be useless.

For a start, have a read at the Elements Help Files.

Roy G
Well, my question was based upon the suggestion made in the "PSE 5 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby, to set everything (camera, PSE5 and Monitor) to Adobe RGB (if you’re shooting JPEGs, as I am). As I recall, he says the reason is that Adobe RGB is "ideal" for printer output whereas sRGB is best for displaying images on the web.

I’m a newbie to color calibration, so I’m just going by what I read.

Thanks.
RG
Roy G
Dec 4, 2006
<BRH> wrote in message
Roy G wrote:
<BRH> wrote in message
Well, my question was based upon the suggestion made in the "PSE 5 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby, to set everything (camera, PSE5 and Monitor) to Adobe RGB (if you’re shooting JPEGs, as I am). As I recall, he says the reason is that Adobe RGB is "ideal" for printer output whereas sRGB is best for displaying images on the web.

I’m a newbie to color calibration, so I’m just going by what I read.
Thanks.

Hi.

Yes.

Adobe RGB is the best Working Space if you intend Printing. sRGB is not quite as good, but the difference is fairly minimal. I would not worry overmuch if you can not select Adobe RGB and end up working in sRGB.

Colour Management is a little bit daunting at first, but becomes fairly straightforward, once you understand the principles.

Elements CM ( up to 4 ) has been sort of truncated, and does not give the full range of choices you get with Full PS. (I don’t know about Elements
5).

However the "Print with Preview" option seems to be the same as Full PS and that is where most of CM is done, and where most of the damage can also be done.

I don’t know what make of Printer you are using, but for a Workflow have a look at www.ayrphoto.co.uk and go to "Info and Notices" and you will find an article on Printing with Photoshop and Epson.

Even if it is not of direct help, it should give you the basic idea. Other places worth looking are www.digital-darkroom.com , but it can be just a bit heavy on theory.

Roy G

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections