Posted By
CIL
Sep 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Good evening,

I have some old photos 1940 era that I am going to try and touch up, while increasing my knowledge of Photoshop. I am using PSE3.

What resolution do you suggest that I scan these. I have set the scanner to 8 bit grayscale since they are Black and white and have scanned them at 600 dpi and 1200 dpi to *.jpg format. The 600 dpi are averaging around 1.8 meg and the same at 1200 dpi is around 8 meg. These are currently printed 5 X 7 photos.

Thanks for your help,

cil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RG
Roy G
Sep 17, 2006
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

I have some old photos 1940 era that I am going to try and touch up, while increasing my knowledge of Photoshop. I am using PSE3.

What resolution do you suggest that I scan these. I have set the scanner to 8 bit grayscale since they are Black and white and have scanned them at 600 dpi and 1200 dpi to *.jpg format. The 600 dpi are averaging around
1.8 meg and the same at 1200 dpi is around 8 meg. These are currently
printed 5 X 7 photos.

Thanks for your help,

cil
Hi.

Not much point in scanning above 600 Dpi, the prints will not have any more detail than can be resolved at that figure.

Some might suggest scanning as Colour, in order to get a bit more gradation, but try it both ways.

Roy G
RG
Roy G
Sep 17, 2006
"Roy G" wrote in message
"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,
Hi.

Not much point in scanning above 600 Dpi, the prints will not have any more detail than can be resolved at that figure.

Some might suggest scanning as Colour, in order to get a bit more gradation, but try it both ways.

Roy G
I should have added that Tiff or PSD would be a better choice for editing work, as every "save" on a Jpeg will cause cumulative and irreversible damage.

Roy G
S
sfb
Sep 18, 2006
Some folks like to scan BW photos in color so they can correct any color problems caused by aging. You can always flip them to BW in Photoshop, but not to color if they were scanned as BW.

"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

What resolution do you suggest that I scan these. I have set the scanner to 8 bit grayscale since they are Black and white and have scanned them at 600 dpi and 1200 dpi to *.jpg format. The 600 dpi are averaging around
printed 5 X 7 photos.

Thanks for your help,

cil

KY
Kill your Television
Sep 18, 2006
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:29:14 -0400, "CIL" wrote:

Good evening,

What resolution do you suggest that I scan these. I have set the scanner to 8 bit grayscale since they are Black and white and have scanned them at 600 dpi and 1200 dpi to *.jpg format. The 600 dpi are averaging around 1.8 meg and the same at 1200 dpi is around 8 meg. These are currently printed 5 X 7 photos.

Thanks for your help,

cil

What are you going to do with them after you’ve enhanced them? If you don’t plan on printing a photo why scan it at more than 300 (or even 150?) dpi?
C
CIL
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for all of your help.
the propose of scanning was to:
1, enhance my skills with PSE
2, general clean up of the photos, remove scratches, specs, etc 3, print a copy for my use and email to other family members.

Thanks again,

"CIL" wrote in message
Good evening,

printed 5 X 7 photos.

Thanks for your help,

cil

L
luk
Sep 20, 2006
CIL wrote:
Thanks for all of your help.
the propose of scanning was to:
1, enhance my skills with PSE
2, general clean up of the photos, remove scratches, specs, etc 3, print a copy for my use and email to other family members.

I’ve just completed a project similar to yours.
The black and white photos were scanned in color
and then the photographs were converted to greyscale
in Elements. Most were scanned at 300. A few
at 350. After working on them in black and
white I switched back to RGB mode and changed
them to sepia by adding red and then slightly
increasing green and decreasing blue. Some
benefited by a filter to reduce noise. It was
a worth while project.

Luk

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections