AK
Posted By
A_Kirk
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need some help with this thing. I know a few of you have one.

I’m scanning color slides. I’m having a bit of trouble trying to get the right exposure…mostly the brightness, to be what I think it should be.

I hold the slide up the light, and it looks good. I scan the thing, and it looks too dark. I can bring it into Elements, do the Smart Fix, or something similar, but it still doesn’t look quite right.

I’m using the standard utility function, and have been trying to make various adjustments to the various controls, saving the settings, yet I’m still not where I’d like to be with them.

Could you tell me what would be a few things to hit on, to get the slide to look similar to what it would look like if I had it in a slide projetor, in terms of good brightness, etc.?

I’m saving the file as TIFF, with a resolution just under the highest setting.

Thanks.

Al

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NJ
Neil_Jorgensen
May 19, 2005
I’ll be interested in the replies to this post. My approach has been to check "Auto exposure for slides", "Color matching ON", and "Use monitor ICC profile." I created the profile using Praxisoft’s WiziWYG XP, which is a little more thorough than Adobe’s Gamma. Then I leave the exposure adjustments at 0 and select no image correction.
I still need to fiddle the levels a bit in Elements, but this gives me the best leave from the Dimage Scan Utility. Results on slides are pretty good. Badly exposed negatives and dust give the most headaches!
R
RSD99
May 19, 2005
Recently there has been a **lot** of discussion regarding the Minolta scanners on a couple of other USENET newsgroups. Exposure problems has been discussed. I suggest that you sign on to

alt.comp.periphs.scanner

and

comp.periphs.scanners

or read through the Google archives.

wrote in message
I need some help with this thing. I know a few of you have one.
I’m scanning color slides. I’m having a bit of trouble trying to get the
right exposure…mostly the brightness, to be what I think it should be.
I hold the slide up the light, and it looks good. I scan the thing, and
it looks too dark. I can bring it into Elements, do the Smart Fix, or something similar, but it still doesn’t look quite right.
I’m using the standard utility function, and have been trying to make
various adjustments to the various controls, saving the settings, yet I’m still not where I’d like to be with them.
Could you tell me what would be a few things to hit on, to get the slide
to look similar to what it would look like if I had it in a slide projetor, in terms of good brightness, etc.?
I’m saving the file as TIFF, with a resolution just under the highest
setting.
Thanks.

Al
MD
malcolm_denton
May 19, 2005
Al…..

I have the Dimage 5400 scanner,so I don’t know if the software is the same,but if it is, and you don’t want to make extensive adjustments using the range of options offered by the scanner software,I have found this method gives a good starting point for further work in PSE :

In ‘Image Correction’ area of scanner software open Tone Curves & Histogram screen. Use the eye dropper tools to set black / grey / white points of the image.

Alternatively clicking on the auto setting command might just give you the result you are looking for.

Apologies if the software is different,and the above is meaningless.
AK
A_Kirk
May 20, 2005
Thank you, gentlemen. I’ll try these suggestions.

Al

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections