Posted By
Reactor
Jan 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I need some guidance from you folks if possible. I am completely new to the world of graphics/photo editing and am not sure what program to buy.

Basically, I want to be able to do some creative stuff, like pull my kids from pictures and edit them/put them in other pictures, etc. I think the term used for this kind of thing is "photochopping"? I’d also like to create some basic graphic projects such as signage and things related to marketing.

I am not sure if I need Photshop CS or Photoshop Elements. I don’t need a ton of power, just enough to do some cool stuff.

Which program do I need, and does anyone have an older copy of either that they want to sell inexpensively? I didn’t expect to see the $700 price tag for CS when I walked into Staples today, but again I am new to this world.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Reactor

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
Joseph Meehan
Jan 2, 2006
Reactor wrote:
Hi all,

I need some guidance from you folks if possible. I am completely new to the world of graphics/photo editing and am not sure what program to buy.
Basically, I want to be able to do some creative stuff, like pull my kids from pictures and edit them/put them in other pictures, etc. I think the term used for this kind of thing is "photochopping"? I’d also like to create some basic graphic projects such as signage and things related to marketing.

I am not sure if I need Photshop CS or Photoshop Elements. I don’t need a ton of power, just enough to do some cool stuff.

Which program do I need, and does anyone have an older copy of either that they want to sell inexpensively? I didn’t expect to see the $700 price tag for CS when I walked into Staples today, but again I am new to this world.

Reactor

I suggest you start with the Microsoft product "Picture It" or whatever it is called.

I suspect that either Elements or CS is going to be overwhelming and a lot more than you need for what you want.

Of the two Elements would do all you need and a lot more. CS is a couple of steps up, and those steps are steep when you try to climb them the first time.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
G
Greg
Jan 3, 2006
I was in exactly the same position as you. I had done little with digital, but had upgraded to a digital SLR. I knew that I’d would want to do more and more with my photos.

Photoshop Elements was right for my and I’d recommend it to you. It comes with the photo organizer (which you will need when you accumulate thousands of photos like I have) and the editor is a light version of Photoshop which for me was a plus. I know that if I outgrow PSE, I can move up to Photoshop.

I am very happy with PSE and look forward to upgrading to version 4 soon.

Best of luck.

Greg

"Reactor" <bruce.gettel-at-myactv.net> wrote in message
Hi all,

Reactor
B
brionl
Jan 4, 2006
Reactor wrote:

The term is "photoShopping", from the name of the program. As Far As I Know, PS Elements is a lot more newb friendly the full chat version, also a heck of a lot cheaper.
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jan 8, 2006
"Reactor" <bruce.gettel-at-myactv.net> wrote in message
Hi all,

I need some guidance from you folks if possible. I am completely new to the world of graphics/photo editing and am not sure what
program to buy.

Basically, I want to be able to do some creative stuff, like pull my kids from pictures and edit them/put them in other pictures,
etc. I think the term used for this kind of thing is "photochopping"? I’d also like to create some basic graphic projects such
as signage and things related to marketing.

Which program do I need, and does anyone have an older copy of either that they want to sell inexpensively? I didn’t expect to
see the $700 price tag for CS when I walked into Staples today, but again I am new to this world.

Reactor

Imo, you should be able to get a legitimate copy of Photoshop 6.0 or better on Ebay. The reason is because Adobe does not give any credit for people who own Illustrator and Photoshop and even Pagemaker when they upgrade to CS or CS2. I mean you only have to have one of the programs, I’m pretty sure, to qualify for the upgrade so the people that own multiple programs are free to sell the product that they did no use to qualify for the upgrade. It would be nice if Adobe would give credit to those who own 2 or more products but they don’t. They also did not have an upgrade path for people who owned Distiller ie Acorbat 3.0 which is bizarre to me since they were so cool about upgrading Ilustrator from a very old version cross-platform. I guess some of the guys in management are AR and some aren’t.
AG
AKA gray asphalt
Jan 8, 2006
"Brion K. Lienhart" wrote in message
Reactor wrote:

Basically, I want to be able to do some creative stuff, like pull my kids from pictures and edit them/put them in other pictures,
etc. I think the term used for this kind of thing is "photochopping"? I’d also like to create some basic graphic projects such
as signage and things related to marketing.

The term is "photoShopping", from the name of the program. As Far As I Know, PS Elements is a lot more newb friendly the full chat
version, also a heck of a lot cheaper.

Like an 1/10 the the price.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections