R
Posted By
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to photoshop. I’m trying the 30 day trial. I am doing the 2nd lesson from the book, Adobe Photoshop CS4 by Adobe. Its the lesson with the "Pitch In" post card where you type some text on the picture with the horizontal text tool.(Lesson 01, "01B_Start.psd")

Then the book directs you to use the move tool to move the text to the sandy area of the picture. I followed each step meticulously, but after I move the text, it continues to be selected (quivering) and the original text stays where it was originally typed, leaving two separate lines of text.

The book shows in its example, the text *moves*. On my machine, it appears that it just copies the text rather than moves it. What am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with CS4 as I’ve read a lot of bad things about it being buggy.

RK

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Jan 18, 2009
Are you holding down any keys? And have you committed theText by clicking on theh check?
R
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
Here’s what book says to do. I did it exactly as instructed.

4. Click once anywhere on the left side of the image and type "Monday is beach day".

The text appears with the font and size you selected.

5. In the tools panel, select the Move tool.

6. Position the move tool pointer over the text you typed and drag the text on the sand, centering it over the bench.

That’s all it states! It doesn’t tell me what to do after that. I did that and have text in two spots now, original typed text, and the moved quivering area.

It then starts an instruction about how to change the color of the text which also does not work.

RK
R
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
I don’t know what you mean about "committed theText by clicking on theh check". This Adobe Book doesn’t say anything about that so I don’t know about that. I bought the book to teach me.

RK
DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 18, 2009
After you type your text, look up top at the options bar and you will see a check mark in a square. click on it to commit your text.
R
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
This is the WORST software program I’ve ever encountered!

It doesn’t do anything the way the book describes.
Book next states on page 24:

The text color in your image is the same as the foreground color…. You’ll color the text by selecting it and then choosing another color.

1. In the Tools panel, select the Horizontal Type tool. (I did)

2. Drag the Horizontal Type tool across the text to select all the words. (It then shows a picture of hightlighted/selected text similiar to many other text editing software which you select in that fashion. I try it but it will not work. It then states:

3. In the Color panel group, click the Swatches table to bring that panel forward.

4. Select any swatch. The color you select appears in three places: as the foreground color in the Tools panel, in the text color swatch in the option bar, and in the text you typed in the image window. …
That’s ho easy it is to select a color in Photoshop.

HA!! Easy my foot! Yeah, it’d be easy if the program worked!

NONE of that works! If you follow those steps, the text is not highlighted, but instead the horizontal text tool draws a text box! No way that I can find to select and highlight that text to change its color. And as I stated in previous post, the original text that I "moved" is still there – not moved, but copied! The text will not change color.

This program is krap! I’d be really ticked off if I had bought it. As it is I need to try to return the book I wasted $35 on!!

RK
R
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
Thanks for the help Ed & Don but there is no check box to check in my options bar. Under the Window menu item, I see that options is checked, but either with the text tool clicked or the move tool clicked, there is no box that offers a check for "commit changes".

When move tool is selected : I have a show transform controls check box and a auto select check box, that’s all.
When the text tool is selected, I have only the settings for the text editor, size, font, etc.

No box anywhere for commit changes. What tool should I select to see that check box??
JT
Joe Tansey
Jan 18, 2009
Hmm, everything works just as the book says it should. Book is not wrong but you are probably doing something wrong. Try this. Type your test. This should give you a text layer in the layers pallet (no layers pallet? Go to windows and select layers). Double click on the text layer icon (that is whre the T is) This should highlight all the text. Then in the optins bar at the top you can change font, font size, color, etc. Also with the text layer highlighted, use the arror keys to move.. Commit to the type? You don’t really have to do this as it will usually do it when you click off the layer or go to the move tool . If you look at the right side of the options bar there is a check mark. That is what you can click on to commit the type.

Also, male sure up have the auto select checked in the options bar. If there are any marching ants around text, type ctrl/d to delect or go to select/deselect

Software has a long hard learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it really is easy and fun
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:54:15 -0800, wrote:

The text color in your image is the same as the foreground color…. You’ll color the text by selecting it and then choosing another color.

2. Drag the Horizontal Type tool across the text to select all the words. (It then shows a picture of hightlighted/selected text similiar to many other text editing software which you select in that fashion. I try it but it will not work. It then states:

3. In the Color panel group, click the Swatches table to bring that panel forward.
4. Select any swatch. The color you select appears in three places: as the foreground color in the Tools panel, in the text color swatch in the option bar, and in the text you typed in the image window. …

NONE of that works! If you follow those steps, the text is not highlighted, but instead the horizontal text tool draws a text box! No way that I can find to select and highlight that text to change its color. And as I stated in previous post, the original text that I "moved" is still there – not moved, but copied! The text will not change color.

This program is krap! I’d be really ticked off if I had bought it. As it is I need to try to return the book I wasted $35 on!!

RK
P
Phosphor
Jan 18, 2009
I don’t think it’s the program. It may be the book. I’m surprised they omitted the commit text step. Although it should work as you are doing it…but…

If you are also holding down Alt it will duplicate the layer. I suspect that is what happened. Look at your Layers palette to confirm.

The check mark is there when you are on the Text tool. When you change to the Move tool it’s not there. The Options Bar is specific to whatever tool you are using. It’s the Options for the current tool. You should look at the various tools and what they do re: The Options Bar.

A better way to highlight text is to double-click on the "T" in the Layers palette.
R
RK8
Jan 18, 2009
Hi Ed:

No, I am not holding down the Alt key. I’m using the mouse only. I don’t know what to look for in the layers pallette, but there is just one picture there. I’m a beginner, but not a monkey. I’d know if I were holding down a key. If you’re supposed to hold down a key, please advise. Book doesn’t say to use any key, just the mouse.

As for that "check mark" when using the text tool, how do I make that appear? I can’t locate anything called commit text. When I have text tool selected, I know all its properties are supposed to appear but there isn’t anything on my menu bar or options bar. What menu item might I look in for that?

This is a very frustrating experience. Working with this program is like trying do run under water…

RK
JT
Jim Thompson
Jan 18, 2009
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:54:15 -0800, wrote:

This attitude is not going to work out well for you.

PS is one of the premiere, if not *THE* premiere, photo editing programs on the market used by most professionals who know what they are doing. Photography and digital image processing is complex.

You are a complete novice. After a couple of days hacking away on your own, you decide that the problem is PS and start calling it names. Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

PS, like any complex program, has a "style". That style evolved over many releases. It’s not perfect, but a lot of people are able to make it work.

Several people here have tried to help you. You can’t make their suggestions work either and you’ve suggested that they don’t understand the problem. Soon, they will give up.

I downloaded PSE7 and had a similar experience to yours. I wasn’t able to get it to do even the simplest tasks. I tried several online tutorials and couldn’t get them to work. I went online and located a local tutor. For about $50 and an hour and a half, I was able to get the hang of the program and can now make sense of the online tutorials. I also have someone I can call.
K
KatWoman
Jan 18, 2009
if the tutorial is poorly written why blame the software?

to move a line of text you don’t need the move tool at all just hover your cursor around the edge and it will change to a move tool

OR
click the thumbnail in the layer palette to commit the text- will change from a T to the words you typed
then switch to move tool
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 18, 2009
Photoshop is a professional level application and to think you can sit down with one book (and not a very good one at that) and learn it is just naive.

I’ve been using Photoshop for 15 years and I’m still learning.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Jan 18, 2009
If you have your text selected the check mark will be there. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I do wonder about that Layers palette. Seems unlikely only one picture is showing. There should be your image, probably on Background and at least one text layer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections