P
Posted By
Phideaux
Jun 7, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Elements 3 with Camera Raw 3.1 and I am using a Nikon D2X. When I open a nef. file into the Raw converter, I get a simple screen with a thumbnail picture, one slider called exposure comp. and a white balance pull down menu. I have two books that discuss the Raw converter and both of these show a elaborate screen with several sliders, some of which are auto (but can be turned off) a histogram and several other boxes. What gives? Why am i not getting this more elaborate screen?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
Did you install the Nikon software after Elements was already on the computer? Look in your plugin folder; I suspect the Nikon plugin went in there and has overridden (overrode?!) the Camera Raw. Try pulling the Nikon plugin out and see what happens.
P
Phideaux
Jun 7, 2005
Hi Beth, I don’t have any Nikon software on my computer. I checked the plug-in folder and the only thing showing is the Adobe DNG and Camera Raw 3.1 which I downloaded to enable using the D2X Raw files. Any other thoughts or places I should look?

Thanks,
Larry Allen aka Phideaux
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
I did a forum search for Nikon NEF, because I knew this had come up before. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything besides the advice I’d already given, except for this:

I got it! That file is hidden fairly well. I was only looking for the .8Bi file extension… then I started noticing several files with that extension, so I looked a little harder and found in the Plug-ins\Editor Only\File Formats and there she was "Nikon NEF Plugin". All’s good again.

Here’s another thread where this is discussed, but, aside from Nikon software taking over, I didn’t find anything else that looked useful. We can hope someone else floats by.

Russ MacDonald, "PSE3 NEF (RAW) Editor has changed" #1, 1 Jun 2005 5:31 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
P
Phideaux
Jun 7, 2005
Beth, thanks very much. Before you had posted your last message, I was searching around in looking for the Nikon nef. plug-in. As your second message indicates it is located in the Editor Only plug-ins. I moved it out of there and now everything is working fine. The Nikon plug-in was coming up before the ACR plug-in.

These forums are a life saver, with no one to talk to I would have stumbled around forever with out finding this.

Thanks again
Larry Allen aka Phideaux
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 7, 2005
Success! I’m sure glad, because I was out of ideas, and I didn’t see people scrambling to your rescue with other suggestions!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections