J
Posted By
Jaz
Jan 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some gif images that I’d like to convert to png with semi transparent matte on transparent background. Some of my gifs are transparent with white matte and some are non-transparent (sqaure) with white matte.

How would I go about converting them? (the purpose is so I can use them on my cms site which has a template chooser, where the templates have various colored backgrounds)
TIA
(Please excuse the ‘burp’ when replying)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Hecate
Jan 14, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:37:56 GMT, Jaz wrote:

I have some gif images that I’d like to convert to png with semi transparent matte on transparent background. Some of my gifs are transparent with white matte and some are non-transparent (sqaure) with white matte.

How would I go about converting them? (the purpose is so I can use them on my cms site which has a template chooser, where the templates have various colored backgrounds)
TIA

You do know that IE won’t read png’s like that don’t you?

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
J
Jaz
Jan 14, 2004
Hecate forgot to take the pills and typed:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:37:56 GMT, Jaz wrote:

TIA

You do know that IE won’t read png’s like that don’t you?

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

No, I didn’t know that. Thanks for bringing that up. Is there any middle ground?

BV
Branko Vukelic
Jan 14, 2004
Jaz wrote:

TIA

You’d probably just save it as PNG-24 (PNG-8 did not support partial transparency last I heard). Keep in mind, tho, that PNG-24 is true color. You’d get much larger files with excellent quality. From the users’ point of view, it would be much better if you could make many PNG-8 or GIF (check, sometimes one is smaller than the other, and sometimes its vice-versa).

Branko Vukelic ()
TN
Thi Nguyen
Jan 14, 2004
This will allow you to have IE/Netscape view PNG files fine.

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
J
Jaz
Jan 14, 2004
"Thi Nguyen" forgot to take the pills and typed:

I stumbed onto this last night — thanks. This would require a rewrite of my CMS system, which would be okay, but it would be nice to find a simpler method that only involves the image itself.

H
Hecate
Jan 15, 2004
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:22:02 GMT, Jaz wrote:

"Thi Nguyen" forgot to take the pills and typed:

I stumbed onto this last night — thanks. This would require a rewrite of my CMS system, which would be okay, but it would be nice to find a simpler method that only involves the image itself.
Yes. That’s why png isn’t really used much. The problem being, of course, that most browsers are IE.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections