PF
Posted By
Peter_F._Nolan
Aug 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve only used ACR for a short time, but I was wondering what the advantages were of converting my .CR2 format files (the current Canon camera raw format) over to the Adobe DNG format. I can import CR2 files into Lightroom 1.1 and adjust them without conversion to DNG, and I can do the same in Photoshop CS3.

Why should I convert the files to Adobe’s format?

Thanks.

Peter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
beerfueled
Aug 29, 2007
Have you checked this out yet:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/>

For additional information and guidance, refer to chapters 3 and 7 of Bruce Fraser’s excellent book, Real World Camera Raw.

-larry
BD
Brett Dalton
Aug 29, 2007
Both good sources.

I personally do it be cause they are much faster to work with and store all metadata properly on top of all the other reasons given. Besides that i use the DNG converter to do my batch renaming (adding date and description) while processing the pics.

BRETT
PF
Peter_F._Nolan
Aug 29, 2007
Thank you Larry and Brett for your answers. One reason I found helpful with DNG is that the metadata reflecting changes to a DNG file is kept in the DNG file, while any changes made to a CR2 file is kept is a separate file. If you lose the separate file, you lose all the changes you have saved.

Thanks again guys for helping out a newcomer.

Peter

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections