Posted By
James_Diefenderfer
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Gang,

Here is a question that has been on my mind for a while. Before sending a file to print I normally just flatten the file and export as .tiff

Now, what I am curious about is what is the difference between converting type to shape vs raster before I send a .psd file with layers ? I see no difference on screen but does a printer somehow read them differently and therefor print them differently ?

This is one of those self-education question – James

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MN
Mike_Nittinger
Apr 28, 2004
Shape layers will print as vector. Rastered layers will print as…well… raster.

If you have a sufficiently high resolution output device, shape layers will deliver superior print from lower res files. There’s a balance there that depends on the resolution of your image and your final output – low res files and high res output devices will show the grestest difference between the shape layer and it’s surrounding pixels, high res files and low res output (60 LPI laser screen, for instance) the difference will be difficult for anyone to spot.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 28, 2004
Converting to a Shape makes vector paths and means the type is infinitely scalable. A Postscript printer will print such type smoothly no matter what the size. But it won’t really be type anymore.

Rasterizing turns the type into pixels. It’s just an image then.If you scale it you will see the difference. Of course if the printer is non-Postscript it won’t make any difference.
JD
James_Diefenderfer
Apr 28, 2004
Hi Mike,

These normally print between 100-200 ppi. Oh ah – I did not realize that converting to shape was the same as vector. Now I clearly understand the difference. Another type question along this same line is should I change the type anti-aliasing to none before I convert to shape ? I have printed several examples of the different anti-aliasing styles and really see no difference.

-James
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 28, 2004
By the way, the best thing to do is just leave it as type layers if possible.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Apr 28, 2004
I notice very little difference personally between the antialiasing methods (maybe they’re more worthwhile than I know) but I just did a little test. Shape layers antialias in only one way, and in my quickie 30 second on screen test, their antialias method seems closest to ‘Crisp’ text antialiasing.

So to answer your question it won’t matter what you set your antialiasing method to – shape layers *will* antialias in their own way – at least on screen. What happens inside the printer is a whole different process – vector information is processed separately and (I think) essentially disregards the antialiasing setting from photoshop. Then again, I could be wrong on that – I’m not as much a wizard on the internal machinations of postscript RIPs as I’d like to be.

I hope I helped 🙂

Edit: oh, as Ed mentioned, leaving it as type has the added advantage of being more editable, and may also have another added bonus, depending on the RIP that it’s sent to. Some RIPs handle type independently of other vector data, sometimes applying automatic overprint, sharpening, or the like. So… the variables increase!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections