JS
Posted By
Jerry_Scharpe
Nov 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need a little help or suggestions with an upgrade to Version 6 of Photo shop from a full version of Version 5.

I used the Ver. 6 upgrade of Photo Shop to upgrade my full Ver. 5 of Photo Shop. I then removed the Ver.5 Program using the uninstall utility in windows under the control panel and it no longer appears listed as a program in that window. Of course I did this because I have limited disc space on my laptop.

I still find that when I sometimes open a document from the document (Double Click), version 5 opens it and works perfectly. Of course if I open Ver. 6 then open the document, version 6 also works fine.

I then noticed that Version 5 was still listed under the start program selection process under the Adobe header. I then right clicked and deleted it 5 from the program menu. I still have the same problem.

I then explored my system hierarchy and found that the Ver. 5 folder under… C:Program Files/Adobe/Photo Shop 5… and all the underlying support hyarchy folders is still there in it’s entirety.

I am pretty sure I can just delete the folder, but before I do, does anyone know why this is happening as this has never happen before when deleting any program. And if I do delete the folder Ver. 5 folder will Version 6 work, as it is an upgrade to version 5.

Any help is certainly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jerry
Wake Forest, NC

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 23, 2006
does anyone know why this is happening as this has never happen before when deleting any program.

Because Version 5 was written Pre-Win98. Starting with Win98 there were better "rules" introduced in terms of what one had to include in an installation routine, that would allow the OS to uninstall it from the control panel.

Win2K may see that there’s a program installed, but the requirements for its uninstallation are missing.

So, you need to remove it manually or, if it came with it’s own uninstall routine, use that instead.

BTW, taking it off of the Start Menu does nothing. You may need to navigate to Program Files under Windows Explorer to remove it. If you don’t know what you are doing, before you go messing around and deleting from Explorer, just ask a friend who does.
L
LenHewitt
Nov 23, 2006
Jerry,

Just deleting the Photoshop 5 folder will leave all the registry settings for Photoshop 5 intact – That is *NOT* an ideal situation. Manual uninstalls are quite complex and you need to know exactly what registry keys require deletion.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 23, 2006
There are uninstall programs you can buy. Might be worth the investment.
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2006
Don’t they have to be present when the installation is done?

I suppose he could re-install Version 5 again and then do the uninstall.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 23, 2006
That’s a possibility. But, no, I don’t think the uninstall programs have to be there when the installation is done. Norton has one, not that I’m recommending Norton.
Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 23, 2006
ust deleting the Photoshop 5 folder will leave all the registry settings for Photoshop 5 intact – That is *NOT* an ideal situation.

Right Len, but leaving them only bloats the registry. To save disk space, my point was that one needs to remove the program files. And FWIW, you don’t need to know exactly which reg keys to remove. Any registry cleaner can find keys for which there are no longer any apps. Not that I’m suggesting that route, only that the downside is small.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections