DF
Posted By
Dominick_Farinella
May 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an Canon 20D and take pictures in the 8mb range. The images are downloaded into Elements 3 as follows:

Pixel Dimension 23.4
W 3504 pixels
H 2336

Document size
W 48.6 inches
H 32.4

Resolution 72 pixes per inch

1. Why does the image document size come in at 72 pixels per inch? Is there a way to import the images at 300 p/i? I have to resize it every time in order to print at 300 p/i and keeping the resampling off reduces the size of the print. There s/b enough information in the inported image to get an 8×10 print at 300 p/i.

Thanks

Dom

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
May 21, 2005
Why does the image document size come in at 72 pixels per inch?

That what your camera sets it to.

Is there a way to import the images at 300 p/i?

No.

I have to resize it every time in order to print at 300 p/i and keeping the resampling off reduces the size of the print.

You should keep resampling off.

There s/b enough information in the inported image to get an 8×10 print at 300 p/i

A 3504×2336 will yield a print 7.8"x11.7" at 300ppi.

300ppi is not a "magic" number – just a reasonable guide or starting point. Print are normally OK down to nearer 200ppi.

I have a 5mpx camera [2560×1920] and often get splendid prints up to nealy A3 [16"x11"].
DF
Dominick_Farinella
Jun 2, 2005
Is there any way to have the camera (Canon 20D) or the import procedure take the pictures at something other than 72 dpi. My little Canon S50 imports pictures at 150 dpi.

Thanks
Dom
CF
Callum_Ferguson
Jun 2, 2005
Hi Dom.
It really does not matter what PPI the imported pic is as the monitor is defaulted to 72dpi and is meant for viewing, you only have to consider changing the dpi when printing, your 3504px is over 11 inches wide so you would have to resample to get anything smaller, or, use a dpi of about 450 to get within an A4, you will not see a super pic at that setting as the printer bins the data it can’t use.
A rough guide is to divide the Nr of Px by 300 to see the final size is. Regards
Malcolm
I think your camera output res is factory fixed.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jun 2, 2005
When you import images from a camera all you get is Pixels and some data (EXIF) information about the settings used by the camera. There is a field in the EXIF data for a document resolution i.e PPI but this is only a recommendation on the part of the camera vendor. The default value is 72PPI if the camera vendor chooses not to make an entry.

The PPI figure has no significance until you want to get a physical size from the number of pixels you have. It is not used by the camera in anyway (maybe Direct Print cameras use it, I’m not sure yet).

If you go to Image >Resize >Image Size and with Resampling unchecked you’ll find that the Pixel dimensions are fixed and the ratio of width/height/resolution is fixed. Change one and you change the others automatically.

Monitors are not defaulted to 72PPI. This would imply that all monitors are the same physical size with the same number of pixels. They are not….think about your own monitor which could be a 15/17/19/21 inch and still only display 1280 x 1024 pixels.

For displaying images on a screen I would advise thinking in terms of pixels rather than thinking about PPI. For printing you’ll need to consider a suitable PPI. Depending upon your printer you can usually get good results from a resolution (PPI) setting of anywhere from 200 upwards, even as low as 180.

Colin #2

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections