JS
Posted By
jojo_simkins
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When i transfer pictures from my camera into photoshop elements 3 on my Mac G3 OS 10.2.8, they look fine, but when i burn the images onto a disk for printing, some of the pictures end up with heads cut off or cropped at odd angles that were not there in photoshop. any ideas would be helpful.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 6, 2005
Jojo,

I’m assuming the missing heads and odd angles show up in the prints and that the burned files look just fine on your Mac. The probable reason is that they are being printed at a size and ratio that is different from the image taken by your camera. If that is the case you will need to Crop your pictures to the proper size before sending them to be printed.

Take a look at Image, Resize, Image Size. Be sure Resample Image is not checked and Constrain Proportions is checked. Change Resolution to 300 pixels/inch and make a note of the width and height in inches and click Cancel. Post the dimensions you get at 300 ppi and the size prints you ordered and we’ll take it from there.

All of my instructions are based on what I see on a Windows machine so if Mac is different hopefully a Mac user will correct me.

Bob
JS
jojo_simkins
May 12, 2005
Bob,
normally assuming gets you in trouble, but you are right on the money this time:) changed to 300pix/inch and the width is 1.34 and the height is 2.733 the print size is 4×6. hope this works, it was quite upsetting to see the bad pictures.
JS
jojo_simkins
May 12, 2005
oh, the width and heigth are in inches, but it differs for each picture- i just tried one for now.
JS
jojo_simkins
May 12, 2005
also noticed that the Contraint box was already checked on all but one pic, whose dimensions i posted, but i had to change the res to 300 on all of them- could the resolution be the whole problem?
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2005
Jojo,

but it differs for each picture

If you are working with pictures straight from your camera they should all come out the same dimensions when resized to the same ppi with resampling off and constrain proportions on. The only exceptions that I can think of being that you have used a crop feature within the camera or have taken pictures at different quality settings.

width is 1.34 and the height is 2.733

I’m not all that familiar with Fuji cameras but from what I can see on their site most record at a ratio of 4:3. The width of an original picture 2.733 high should be about 2.05.

Could you open an original, unmodified picture, do to Image, Resize, Image size and post the Height and Width in inches and ppi that it starts at? Also post the Camera’s megapixel size and the capacity of your xD card.

could the resolution be the whole problem?

No. You still will need to get your pictures to a ratio of 3:2 to get a 6×4 print that won’t be cropped or stretched. We can figure out the best way to do that when you post the above. Here’s a good explanation:

Colin Walls, "Dimensions of A4 paper versus my file dimensions" #1, 5 Jan 2005 1:37 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

And if you are not yet comfortable with resolution and ppi take a look at this:

<http://scantips.com>

Bob
JP
jim_pissed_murray
May 12, 2005
I installed Photoshop Elements 2.0 onto a Mac GS4 running Mac OS10.4. It seems to interface fine with my Epson Perfection 2400 scanner, but every attempt to print on my laserjet 2200d yields an endless stream of output pages, each of which has a single line of characters that look like math symbols and/or asci characters. Although only installed and registered yesterday, Adobe will not provide complimentary support because it is a superseded version; somehow, I was expected to know that. Can anyone help me out?
JJ
Jim_J
May 12, 2005
Jim,

Respectfully, would you mind removing the "middle" portion of your user name please.

Now… to your problems. With respect to Adobe on the purchase, this is an unfortunate reality of the way the companies and retailers work. Unfortunately the customer often gets the squeeze and runs out of air..

Let’s begin with what migh seem like an obvious question… Have you looked into an updated printer driver? I apologize I’m not a mac person so others might have another comment on this.

It seems that if it is working, and it is working with the scanner… there may be a problem more between the printer and PSE rather than just PSE.

Cheers
JS
jojo_simkins
May 12, 2005
Bob,
our discussions seems to have been hijacked:)
ok- orig res. which im assuming is ppi is 72, height 9.722 width 7.736 xdcard is 128mb, 4.0 megapix with 6.0 dig zoom on the camera
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 12, 2005
Jojo,

Got your reply. Bear with me. I’m in the middle of doing some research for my Son’s honeymoon in Hawaii (for which I’m making a large contribution). I WILL get back but possibly not till tomorrow.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
May 12, 2005
jojo, that size seems kind of small from a 4mp camera. What setting are you using on it? My 3mp gave me an original of 11.3 X 8.5 at 180ppi, so yours should be bigger if you’re using high quality, low compression.
JS
jojo_simkins
May 13, 2005
well, i have the file size set for 1 mb, so i can take a lot of pics at a time- but the puzzling thing is that not all of my pictures ended up printing all messed up. ive probably done something- user error is my middle name 🙂
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 13, 2005
Jojo,

Beth is right. Your quality setting is way too low to get good quality printing, particularly if you ever want to do 8×10 or larger. My 3.2mp camera set at HQ in Olympus terms yields 164 28.444×21.333 inch pictures on a 128mb xD card at 72 ppi. There are 2 higher quality settings available that produce fewer pictures but I’ve found that I can’t tell the difference in print quality. Note that 72 ppi resolution will show up great on your monitor. If my math is correct IMHO you should find the setting that will yield around 130 images on an empty card.

Back to the printing question. There are several ways to do this but the object is to get dimensions that are the same as the print size you want or have the same aspect ratio.

To get the same dimensions as your print size using your 9.722×7.736 example go to Image, Resize, Image Size. With resample unchecked and constrain aspect ratio checked change the largest dimension to 6. The other dimension will change to around 4.79. Note the ppi. If it is not a whole number change it to the nearest whole number since some printers have a problem with fractional ppi. Click OK.

Select the Rectangular Marquis tool. Set the options to New selection, Fixed size with Height = 6 in and Width = 4 in. Click anywhere on the picture and a 6×4 selection will appear. Move the selected area to pick the 4 inch width that you want. Go to Image and Click Crop. Save the file to a different name so that you preserve the original.

In my experiments with the file size you posted it ends up with a ppi of 116. The generally accepted minimum for good prints is something over 200. When you change your camera settings as above you will have plenty of pixels to play with and can resize to something a bit larger than 6 inches and use Fixed Aspect Ratio in the Rectangular Marquis and select by clicking and dragging to have more flexibility in the Crop. Just be sure the ppi remains above 200.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections