Posted By
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

http://homepage.mac.com/josephhenry/OSXHotTips/Personal86.ht ml (then, after reading the message, click at the top on the other link, you’ll access all the issues, current and past)

That’s it, the April’s issue is here. You read well, the April’s issue. Our beloved editor has a real life (can you imagine that?) and he let it get in the way of his cyber life. Shame on him ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, I hope you’ll like this issue! And thanks to everyone who contributed to this issue. And to Joe for putting it together : you did a fantastic job! I love the colours, very "Spring" !!

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
Hi Joe! I decided, now that I run Panther on both computers, it was time to download the newsletter and see what you guys have created. There’s a little trouble with the download page!

Vol 1, Issue 1 (for December) downloads Vol 1, Issue 2 (for January)

Vol 1, Issue 2 (for January) downloads Vol 1, Issue 3 (for February)

Vol 1, Issue 3 (for February) doesn’t download anything. ๐Ÿ™

Vol 1, Issue 4 and Vol 1, Issue 5 are fine.

Would you just send me a copy of the premier issue, please? ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you.

No, I haven’t started reading yet; I was trying to figure out what I was getting! I think I’m gonna like it though!
MR
Mark_Reibman
May 2, 2005
Whoo Hooo, looks great! Thanks Joe.
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 2, 2005
Hey All! Thanks Ray for posting this and of course for your contributions. It wouldn’t be much of a newsletter with out you. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t know what the heck is going on with Homepage. It’s really goofy right now: when I access the download page I can’t see any of my written descriptions. Can anyone else see them? Hopefully I’ve got things straightened out a little bit so that when you click on Vol. 1 Issue 2 you actually get Vol. 1, issue 2. Somehow Homepage screwed them all up as Beth described.

Good thing you got Panther running on both computers now Beth. Just in time for Tiger. ๐Ÿ˜‰ BTW, feel free to contribute a tip or two if you’ve got the time. I’m sure we’d all love to see a "Beth’s OS X HotTip of the month". Maybe a regular feature? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks Mark, I think it looks pretty nice too. Looking at the first issue and comparing it to the last two (since I got Pages), I think it’s really gotten much more appealing design wise (thanks to Apple). I wish I’d had a little more time to spend on it, though. Ray has sent me some "killer" stuff that I’m sure be of interest to all but I just didn’t have time to get them into April’s issue. Oh well, I’ll get them in in the next few months.

Oh and thanks again Lou!

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 2, 2005
Joe,

..Mac has been behaving strangely for the past 2 weeks or so. I think they were making some preps for Tiger (with its new iSync module).

And thanks for the nice words, I think I may have got carried too much lately ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve also spread the word around here and for the May issue. As a result, there are more than 35 persons who would like the issue translated in French. Do you think you could… ? Just kidding !!

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
May 3, 2005
Hi All,
I had a bit of trouble getting it too, but thought it was because I was downloading Bryce 5.5. But ive got it fine now, Just Wonderful as usual.
You guys are the best, maybe you should write a book about all of this Mac stuff. Barbara’s PSE book is amazing, you could do it too!
Jane
LM
Lou_M
May 3, 2005
Thanks, Joe. You’re welcome!

It is a great issue. Ray is fast becoming the Primary Contributing Editor. ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice job, Ray.

The only bad thing, Joe, is that now my wife wants a copy of MacJournal after she saw your glowing review. Guess we’re gonna need a new hard drive to store all the articles she downloads off the web.

Oh, and how’d you do the Apple symbol on the table of contents? I think Barb told us how to do the command-key thingy in the first issue, but I don’t remember the Apple symbol.

Also, to anyone who might know: Where on Earth did Apple get the symbol for the Option key? I mean, what is it supposed to represent? And why isn’t that symbol on the freakin’ keyboard?! Drives me batty.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 3, 2005
Not sure where Joe got his, but a regular non-outlined apple logo is Option-Shift-K in most mac fonts, Lou.

Great issue, Joe!
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 3, 2005
Thanks Barb. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lou, open the Character Palette, choose View>Glyph and then for Font choose Lucida Grande. You’ll have to scroll down a bit but then you’ll find a bunch of misc. keyboard and Apple symbols. If you plan on using a symbol very often, add it to the Character Palette’s Favorites.

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 3, 2005
Thanks Lou !

The Option key symbol represents an alternate way (if you look at the one line becoming two รขยŒยฅ) or a second modifier key (the shift key has an arrow, the option key has a double arrow).

As per Apple, the Option key is a modifier, it extends or reverses the behaviour of a key. In iPhoto, for example, if you press and hold the Option, the Rotate to the left icon becomes a rotate to the right. In iTunes (this is valid of the other platform as well), if you press and hold this key again, the New Playlist becomes New Smart Playlist. You’re still creating a playlist, but a different one. Extended behaviour.

Ray
LM
Lou_M
May 3, 2005
Joe,

Ah, Character Palette, of course. Thanks for the tip; I forgot about that. It also comes in handy for figuring out where the special characters are on my Irish language typeface.

Ray,

Thanks for the explanation. The "alternate way" makes sense; I’ll have to keep that as a mnemonic.
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 4, 2005
Am I the only one that can’t see the description under each issue? Can someone check that out and let me know? Everything else (vol number, size, download button, front page icon) I can see and the descriptions are there when I’m in edit mode in Homepage. There are a couple threads over at Apple’s Homepage discussion that discuss the same behavior but there doesn’t seem to be a fix.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
May 4, 2005
What descriptions?! ๐Ÿ™‚ When I was there a couple of days ago, I didn’t know I was missing anything, but all I can see are the same pieces you noted above – vol number, size, download button, and front page icon.

Firefox 1.0.2 and 10.3.8, by the way, but I don’t know if that would make any difference.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 4, 2005
Nope, Joe. No description here, either.
JH
Joe Henry1000
May 6, 2005
Thanks Barb and Beth. I was hoping it was just me or that .Mac was screwing it up (which it is) but that Apple would fix it. From the sounds of things on the Homepage discussion board, I might have to delete the page and then put up a new one. Ugh! ๐Ÿ™

Joe

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections