Posted By
DV8R
Dec 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK to keep this simple and sweet….

Filter Gallery can be abit slow when try effects on high res images so this is what you should do.

1. Open a new copy of the image and scale it down and change the res to 72 dpi. Copying the image to a new layer wont work. Itll change both images to the lower resolution so open a new one.

2. Run the filter gallery on the copy of the low resolution image to get the effects you want and then apply them 1 by 1 to the full scale image when satisfied.

Simple and sweet and will save you a TON of time.

Pretty silly that Adobe didnt make these effects drag and dropable from the filter gallery. Seems pretty silly they didnt think anout the render times when working with larger images. And how sweet it would be to just drag and drop the effect layers from the gallery to the layers pallet.

hmmmm maybe in the next version….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
barry_gray
Dec 16, 2003
Be aware, many filters will create quite a different effect at 72 ppi than 300 ppi.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 16, 2003
I like filter gallery, but I don’t like how they implemented it. Besides it lacking some filters and some basic features I wish they had left it so that you go filter gallery when you used the filter gallery option, but when you used a filter on it own it came up with the old 7 interface.

To be honest if I had a choice I would rather not have filter gallery if it is the only option you have for a filter interface. It is too slow and the dialog box is too big, etc. etc, etc.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 16, 2003
but when you used a filter on it own it came up with the old 7 interface.

I agree.
H
Ho
Dec 17, 2003
add it to the list for the .01 patch…
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 17, 2003
and where’s the blanged nabbed filter adjustment layers?!! 🙂
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 17, 2003
The "Filter Adjustment Layers" we a miss understanding some reviewers got in regards to the Filter Gallery.

Honestly I wish the basic work horse filters were adjustment layers. Like Gaussian Blur, Unsharp Mask, Noise, etc. The effects ones like Water Color, etc. would be nice but not critical.

Robert
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2003
The "Filter Adjustment Layers" we a miss understanding some reviewers got in regards to the Filter Gallery.

I know. And I agree 100% with your second statment. I’m not asking for all filters but as you said, noise, USM and g-blur would be a GREAT start. Where do I send my upgrade $$$? 🙂
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Dec 21, 2003
While we talk about filters, here is an invitation by Scott Byer about what filters we’d like to see reworked, and how… progress "UPDATE THE FILTERS : deja vu anyone????" 12/20/03 12:27pm </cgi-bin/webx?13>
LP
len_preston
Jan 27, 2004
If we could use the Filter gallery to combine Dust and Scratches, Gaussian Blur, Add Noise and Unsharp Mask all in one place, we could salvage the low rez "jaggy" and/or noisy images that we have to work with on a regular basis.

We Photoshop professionals working with REAL images in the field need to work with these "workhorse" filters in the Filter gallery. We should not have to buy commercial products such as Image Doctor (which I have purchased) and Digital GEM,
which simply combine Photoshop’s features in one place when the Filter gallery brings us all so tantalizingly close to realizing this nirvana in Photoshop itself.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jan 27, 2004
Len, use actions?!
SJ
sandy_johnson
Feb 3, 2004
Is there a quick key to go straight to filter gallery? I see you can hide the previews once you choose a filter. Does that help with larger images? I haven’t seen a performance issue yet, but my recent files have been manageable sizes and it’s only been a couple days with CS.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections