D
Posted By
drmrbrewer
May 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I gather from Thomas Knoll’s post here (Louise Parrish, "ACR 3.0 and ACR 3.1" #4, 8 Apr 2005 8:52 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/3>) that ACR 3.0 (released with CS2) will not work on CS but will work on PSE3. Which begs the question: can PSE3 users buy just the ACR 3.0 plugin as a sort of upgrade? If so, where? If not, Thomas’s statement is pretty academic.

Thanks,

Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin_Walls
May 1, 2005
Mike

Why would you want to buy this? What are you trying to achieve? It says that ACR3.1 will be available for free this month …
D
drmrbrewer
May 1, 2005
OK, what I really meant was buy/download. I hadn’t expected to be able to get it for free, I guess, but that is great news. Provides justification for me having just bought PSE3 (for Catalog) despite having CS, since ACR 3.0/1 won’t anyway work with CS.

Thanks,

Mike
D
drmrbrewer
May 1, 2005
Thinking about it, can’t you just download that CS2 try-out now and nab ACR 3.0 from that, instead of waiting for 3.1? That’s if you don’t need what’s in 3.1.

Mike
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 1, 2005
You can download 3.0 by itself if you want it. It will, as stated earlier in this thread, work just fine in PE 3, but not in PSCS1.
D
drmrbrewer
May 1, 2005
Thanks, Barbara. That’s good to know before downloading all 330 MB of it!

Mike
D
drmrbrewer
May 2, 2005
When you try the ACR 3.0 plugin with PSE3, do you get a sort of "cut-down" version?

I installed the CS2 tryout, and ACR 3.0 has a great deal of stuff under separate tabs, e.g. Curves and so on. When I replace the old PSE3 Camera Raw plugin with ACR 3.0, there is no difference in PSE3 — I get the same raw window as before — including all the auto checkboxes not available in ACR 2.4, but with only a single tab of stuff, and no Curves.

Should I expect to see everything when using the ACR 3.0 plugin in PSE3, or is that expecting too much? Am I doing something wrong (all I did was rename the old Camera Raw plugin in the PSE3 folder to remove the .8bi extension, and copy in the plugin from the CS2 folder).

Mike
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 2, 2005
Mike,

The plug in is identical to the one used in CS but when used in Elements the advanced features are disabled … so the "cut down" is not the plug in itself but how Elements uses it ….

Wendy
D
drmrbrewer
May 2, 2005
Thanks, Wendy. I couldn’t see any difference between ACR 3.0 and the raw plugin supplied with PSE3 itself (or perhaps after the upgrade to PSE3.01). Certainly both had the "auto" checkboxes that I thought were new with ACR 3.0. Are there any differences, apart perhaps from the list of supported cameras?

Mike
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 2, 2005
Mike,

It is the same plug in … a new one is due for release sometime in May but the changes are supported cameras.

Wendy
D
drmrbrewer
May 3, 2005
Thanks. I guess this explains the reason for me asking in the first place whether you could buy the ACR 3.0 plugin for use in PSE3, including the advanced features, since I didn’t expect Adobe would just let you have these features for nothing. And it turns out that they (Adobe) indeed don’t let you have the advanced features for nothing, and neither can you buy them separately since the plugin is the same and the features aren’t anyway visible in PSE3 (most of them). Which is fair enough.

Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections