JH
Posted By
Jon_Hoggatt
Apr 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was wondering how to make a photo, or a layer for that matter have a gradient transparency (or opacity.) For example… have it go from left to right from 100% opacity to 50% opacity… in a gradual fashion. Is this possible to do with Elements, and if so how?

Jon

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
RobertHJones
Apr 30, 2005
Jon,

Not only is it possible, it’s relatively easy.

One way to do it is to use the gradient tool along with a clipping mask. (it’s easier than it sounds)

First, open the layer palette if it isn’t already open.

Then, if you only have a background layer convert it to a regular layer (double click on the layer in the layer palette).

Add an empty layer underneath the layer you want to have the transparency gradient. (make the image layer active by clicking on it in the layer palette and then press and hold the ctrl key and click on the symbol in the layer palette that looks like a page with a turned corner. This will add a blank new layer underneath).

Set the foreground color to black and then select the gradient tool. Set the options in the options bar to select the foreground to transparent gradient and select the linear gradient option. The transparency check box should be checked.

The empty layer should now be the active layer. click on the photo on the side where it should be 100% opaque and drag to where it should be 0% and release the mouse button. You should now have a black to transparent gradient on what was the new empty layer. Now make the image layer active and press ctrl G. This will make the gradient layer a clipping mask for the image and you will see the image go from solid to transparent.

Experiment a little with the starting position and drag length to get a feel for how it works. You can drag past the edge of the photo if you don’t want the transparency to go completely to zero. When you’re satisfied, you can merge the two layers, if desired.

Hope this is clear. Have fun.

Bob
JH
Jon_Hoggatt
Apr 30, 2005
Bob,

I was able to do everything you said, but after I press ctrl G on the image layer, nothing happens. A little bent arrow appears pointing towards my gradient layer, but nothing visibly happens to the image (i.e. it is not apparent that it is transparent.)

The only thing I can think is I am not doing the following correctly:

"Set the foreground color to black and then select the gradient tool. Set the options in the options bar to select the foreground to transparent gradient and select the linear gradient option."

I don’t see anything in the options bar to select the foreground to transparent color… I checked the transparency box, but is there more I have to do?

Thanks for the help.

Jon
JH
Jon_Hoggatt
Apr 30, 2005
Oops, nevermind… I just figured it out… THANKS!

Jon

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections