SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Jan 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to create a gradient map that goes from transparent to a color. I open up a gradient map adjustment layer, click on the gradient to open up the gradient editor, click on the top left stop, set the opacity to o% and then select the bottom right stop and select red. Everything is looking fine in the editor, the left side is transparent the right side is red. I click ok, and I see that my gradient is black on the left side and red on the right. I click ok to close out the gradient map, and there is no transparency, a black to red gradient is being applied to my image. If I fill a layer with a gradient using the gradient tool, then click on the gradient to open gradient editor and do the same steps, and use the gradient tool on a new layer I can get a layer that is transparent to red, but I can’t seem to get it to do the same thing with a gradient map adjustment layer?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 27, 2007
Instead of transparent try white in the part of the gradient you want transparent.
SP
steve_peters
Jan 28, 2007
I gave that a try and all that does is make a gradient map the goes from white to red.
B
Bernie
Jan 28, 2007
AFAIK, gradient maps can not create transparency. The layer you apply the gradient map to must already have the transparency you desire.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections