PL
Posted By
Photo_Larry
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working with one of the adobe staff to get info on this problem. Apparently if you open a NEF or RAW file, the JPG option appears when saving but the processing on the raw file is limited due to proprietary info from Nikon. I have found that for the most part it is best to either use Nikon Capture or Nikon View in dealing with NEF files. If later you wish to manipulate the JPG file in PSE or PS, that works well. Overall if you are an amatuer and dont care about pro things with your photos, go with PSE. If you are a photographer, go with PS and edit the JPG file directly. Yes, you do lose some quality each time you open and close a JPG, but if you set the quality high, its minimal. So for example, open the JPG, fix a little red eye…save it. Hope this helps some people.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SS
Susan_S.
Apr 27, 2005
The problem seems to be the ISO data in the straight out of the camera jpeg hides it in a nonstandard way and Elements or PS can’t read it (it’s the same for both my Canon cameras in both Elements 2 and photoshop CS – interestingly Noise Ninja has no problem). If I run a RAW file from either camera through Adobe Camera RAW, the resulting jpeg or tiff saves the ISO information in a way that Elements and PS can read.

In reference to Larry’s post, if you want to manipulate a photo several times and are starting with a jpeg it’ s best to save any intermediate steps to a non lossy format such as tiff or psd and then convert to a jpeg only in the final step for email or storage or web view or whatever. It’s best not to do multiple opens and saves on jpeg files (closing without saving doesn’t do any damage) . Even at the least amount of compression, some images will suffer after multiple saves – tree branches against sky for exapmle seem to suffer badly. Once or twice probably won’t hurt, but more than that is asking for trouble, especially if you plan to make large prints.
GM
Gary_McQuerrey
May 11, 2005
I’ve had PSE 3.0 for one day and still get green colored pictures in the work space in "Editor" when transferred from folder. I don’t really know why but they do not change when put in "Organizer". I can’t even get started. Does anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong?
BG
Byron Gale
May 11, 2005
wrote
I’ve had PSE 3.0 for one day and still get green colored pictures in the
work space in "Editor" …

Gary,

If you haven’t calibrated your monitor with Adobe Gamma, you should give it a try.

In addition, you can try toggling the "Ignore Camera Data (EXIF)" setting under Edit > Preferences > Saving Files. Not sure if you have to re-start PSE3 for the new setting to take effect…

HTH,

Byron

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections