MT
Posted By
Mike_Timmerman
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have installed Photoshop Elements 2.0, Camera Raw 2.2 plugin and I am trying to use the raw files from my Nikon D70. When I fire up Elements I get an error box with the following message "Unable to use the Camera Raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this host.". Everything else seems to work fine.

The system is a Pentium III, 850MHz, 386Mb memory. Lots of free disk. Windows 2000 Service pack 4.

Has anyone got this or a similar configuration to work?

I have looked at the on-line documentation and can’t find anything that says it should not work, but also nothing that says it should.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 9, 2004
ACR 2.2 is only compatible with photoshop CS. PE 2 is based on photoshop 7, so it is too old for ACR. I presume you have photoshop since you have ACR 2.2, so that is where you will need to start your photos, unless you can find a third-party plug-in that is PE compatible.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 9, 2004
so it is too old for ACR

To clarify, I meant for the current versions. There was a purchased plug-in for PS 7 that will work with elements, but it probably won’t read your D70 files, even if you could find a copy.
BB
Brian_Bergen
Aug 21, 2004
Regarding the camera raw plugging and elements. I might be nuts but about a 8 weeks ago I downloaded the pluggin and was able to open raw files from a D70 with PS elements 2. Well, I had to reimage my PC and reinstall photoshop elements and the redownload the pluggin. Now, when I try to open raw files, it get the error message, "unable to use the camera raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this host." Did something (the plugin) change?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 21, 2004
Brian

Try resetting Element preferences. If that doesn’t work uninstall and re install the Nikon stuff. While it is not the greatest program on earth it is free with the camera and it does work. Mine hasn’t failed me since installed it in mid April.

Grant
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Aug 21, 2004
Regarding the camera raw plugging and elements. I might be nuts but about a 8 weeks ago I downloaded the pluggin

Yes, the Nikon plug-in works, Brian. I was referring to the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in that is part of Photoshop CS. Sorry for any confusion.
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 22, 2004
Brian,

Regarding the camera raw plugging and elements. I might be nuts but about a 8 weeks ago I downloaded the pluggin and was able to open raw files from a D70 with PS elements 2. Well, I had to reimage my PC and reinstall photoshop elements and the redownload the pluggin. Now, when I try to open raw files, it get the error message, "unable to use the camera raw plug-in. It is not compatible with this host." Did something (the plugin) change?

It’s possible something changed. If it worked before then Adobe could have broken compatibility with Elements 2. Seems Adobe does not want Elements 2 users to use that plug-in. On their camera raw plug-in web page they say the plug-in is exclusively for CS users. Plus back in January or so when PhotoShop CS came out Adobe took the previous plug-in off their website.

Given that it’s a lot of work for Adobe to support all those new raw file formats it makes sense to improve the plug-in infrastructure to plan for the future. Hopefully Elements 3 will be CS-based and use the same plug-ins that CS uses like Elements 2 did vis a vis PhotoShop 7.

Robert Ash
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 22, 2004
Mike,

I just downloaded the plug-in, unzipped the file and copied the resulting directory into my plug-ins directory. I also get the same Unable to Use on this Host error msg.

Robert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections