HS
Posted By
Hania_Stadtler
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am about to pick up the Nikon D70, my first SLR. So far I have been using the Sony DSC-V1, macro mode for close ups of flowers etc, and the add on 58mm telephoto for sporting events. What lens/lenses would be good to start with on the D70 that will give good results?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
May 15, 2004
Hania

No single lens will give you what you have now. Although you can surpass all you have with combinations. If you are unclear I would suggest that you buy the kit lens that comes as a package. If you are only going to do digital then the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G IF-ED seems to be a real steal.

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
May 16, 2004
Just a thought about lenses for a dSLR.

Usually the central part of a lens is much better than the corners. As most dSLR cameras have smaller sensors than the 35mm film size this is an advantage as these cameras use the best part of the lens.
However, as the size is smaller, the image has to be enlarged more than film. This way we enlarge the flaws fo this central part of the lens too.

Conclusion-1: always buy the best optics one can afford. Conclusion-2: always close the lens 2 stops to ensure maximum performance.

Leen
HS
Hania_Stadtler
May 16, 2004
Is there much difference between the D and the G lenses?

Hania
GD
Grant_Dixon
May 16, 2004
Hania

The "G" lenses don’t have an aperture ring so can only be used on cameras that can set the aperture internally. Generally while they a reasonably good lenses they are the entry level lenses not the ones that Nikon built their reputation on. If you don’t need an aperture ring they can be a reasonable good buy for the budget dollar.

Grant

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections