JL
Posted By
Jennifer_L_Stone
Aug 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I print from Photoshop (using an HP Deskjet 940C) at the Best setting it prints an entire page of black. In Normal or Draft mode it prints fine. (The Best setting works fine when I am printing just a photograph, it seems to be only when I am designing a page of text and pictures.) I have tested the Best setting in Word and it prints fine so it is not the printer, and my conclusion is that it is something in Photoshop or that I am doing wrong. It just started doing this. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 29, 2004
Jennifer,

Try deleting the Preferences File first off. Also I would check to see if there are any updated drivers for your printer.
JL
Jennifer_L_Stone
Aug 29, 2004
Nancy:

Thanks for responding! I checked my printer driver and it is the most updated. Where is the preferences file located? I am using Windows XP. I looked through the Adobe Photoshop Elements folder and could not find a preferences file or folder…maybe it is called something else in windows. What do you think about uninstalling and then reinstalling the program?
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 29, 2004
Jennifer,

The easiest way to accomplish this is:

Hold down the alt/crt/shift keys, launch PSE. Answer yes to the question and let it load. No question=let it load and try again.

I don’t know that this will fix your problem, but it is often the first place to start. If you are not printing correctly after successfully completing the above procedure, post back and people will make other suggestions. In fact, post back anyway, let us know how it came out.

edit—

a reinstall won’t help if the problem is with the Preferences File
JL
Jennifer_L_Stone
Aug 29, 2004
Nancy:

That did not work (I was so hoping it would). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jen
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 29, 2004
You say you have problems when printing a page with both text and pictures but photos still print in Best. What’s the source of this text? What format is the finished document in? The more we learn about the way the document is set up, the more likely it is that someone will have another idea.
JL
Jennifer_L_Stone
Aug 29, 2004
I think I just figured it out. I decided to change the resolution from 400 pixels/inch to 300 and it printed fine. The reason I was using 400 is because that was the resolution my film scanner scanned at and it was easy to copy images and paste it into a new document at the same resolution. (BTW it prints those images scanned at 400 just fine, it is just on documents where you add text and have multiple pictures.) I have done 2 test prints and they printed fine.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 29, 2004
Ah, the poor little thing was just overwhemed I guess! Although it is strange; you wouldn’t think the resolution itself would cause that particular problem. However, if 300 works – great! Thanks for letting us know. If someone else should have the same problem, it will be helpful to have this archived.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections