Posted By
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Setup: WindowsXP pro sp/2 – PhotoshopCS2

What could cause PS to not offer *.jpg as one of the targets in Save-as dialog?

Its been a while since I used PS but I think I recall having that option in the past..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 16, 2007
Is it 16 bits per channel perhaps?
H
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
Ed Hannigan – 7:05am Jul 16, 07 PST (#1 of 1)

I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you can fill in a few details, such as what that would have to do with what gets offered in save-as dialog?

A further note: If I open a *.jpg then that format appears in save as dialog. But will not when opening *.psd *.tif.
H
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
HarryPutnam – 7:12am Jul 16, 07 PST (#2 of 2)

Ed Hannigan – 7:05am Jul 16, 07 PST (#1 of 1)

Harry wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you can fill in a > few details, such as what that would have to do with what gets > offered in save-as dialog?

A further note: If I open a *.jpg then that format appears in save > as dialog. But will not when opening *.psd *.tif.

Sorry, I’ve now found a message in the Knowledge base that talks about this and the image does not match any of the criteria listed there:

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=32 5073&sliceId=1>

It is 8 bits per channel and is not over 30,000px or 2gb in size. It was created in photoshop so has defaults for *.psd.
It is `Indexed Color’ instead of RGB so I changed that to experiment but it made no difference. * .jpg is still not available on save-as
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 16, 2007
If there are layers of any kind you lose them forever if you save as a JPG.

If the file is saved first as a PSD or Tiff and then flattened (Ctrl+Shift+E) you can save as a JPG under the same name.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 16, 2007
have no idea what you are talking about.

Image>Mode.

The Jpeg format only supports 8 bit. I think a trip to F1 is called for.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 16, 2007
In Image>Mode see if 16 bit per channel is selected. If it’s a scan that is likely since many scanners produce 16 bit instead of 8 bit files. If that’s the case, change it to 8 bits per channel by checking that in that menu.

That’s the only thing I can think of that would prohibit saving as a jpg.

In previous versions you would have to flatten a file first if it had layers, but that should be covered in the Save As dialog in CS2.

If it’s not that trashing/resetting Preferences might be in order.
B
Bernie
Jul 16, 2007
it is `Indexed Color’ instead of RGB

AFAIK, JPEG does not support indexed colours

Can you post a screen cap of your file?

<http://www.pixentral.com>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 16, 2007
CN,

You are right, but he said he changed it.

I didn’t see that before.
H
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
John Joslin – 7:22am Jul 16, 07 PST (#4 of 5)

If the file is saved first as a PSD or Tiff and then flattened (Ctrl+Shift+E) you can save as a JPG under the same name.

Bingo… Thanks, It had no layers but apparently the `indexed color’ causes the lack of *.jpg too. I converted to RBG and still no *.jpg.

With `indexed color’ all Menu>layers commands are greyed out, but converting to RBG brings them up.

Only one layer appears in `layers’ but still by flattening layers as you suggest I then do get the *.jpg option.

Summary: If image is in `index color’, convert to RGB, then flatten even if there is only one layer. Then the *.jpg option appears.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 16, 2007
Hmm. That’s odd. Is here no Layers checkbox in the Save As dialog? I get the option in CS, but it just carries a "File must be saved as a copy" and flattens the image for me.

I don’t remember having to flatten since version 5.
H
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
John Joslin – 7:22am Jul 16, 07 PST (#4 of 5)

I would have gladly but my save-as problem appears to have gotten sorted in large part.

I’m not sure what a screen capture would have told you anyway. Wouldn’t you need all pertinent settings as well?
H
HarryPutnam
Jul 16, 2007
Ed Hannigan – 7:36am Jul 16, 07 PST (#10 of 11) Edited: 16-Jul-2007 at 07:36am

Hmm. That’s odd. Is here no Layers checkbox in the Save As dialog? > I get the option in CS, but it just carries a "File must be saved > as a copy" and flattens the image for me.

You are right. There are some clickable options that govern that on the adobe `save as’ dialog that I overlooked.

(Hefty red arrows added)
<http://www.jtan.com/~reader/web_ready/disp.cgi>

BTW, Harry. A file is considered to have layers even if there is only one, until it is flattened. Then then the "layer" is converted to Background, which is technically NOT considered a layer.

OK, I see. And I guess that makes some sense.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections