AF
Posted By
Andy_Fuchs
Apr 1, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since the update to PhotoshopCS4/IllustratorCS4, Vector Smart Object stopped workin. That means: if I copy/paste an Illustrator vector shape to my PS document, I can’t edit it anymore in Illustrator. Double-clicking the VSO or choosing ‘Edit Content…’ just does nothing.

Any idea?

thx

andy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 1, 2009
Andy,

Did you reset Photoshop preferences?

Neil
AF
Andy_Fuchs
Apr 2, 2009
Hi Neil,

thanks for the hint. Yes – I tried that, but it didn’t help… But after a re-install and computer-restart things started working again.

Still – these intermittently necessary re-installs are quite disgusting… (at least it doesn’t lose it’s authorization after a crash – that’s a big benefit over CS3).

BTW: does anybody know, why I must quit Safari when installing Photoshop? That’s ridiculous…

andy
B
Buko
Apr 2, 2009
Any idea?

Not really as you have supply no information other than your problem.
AF
Andy_Fuchs
Apr 2, 2009
What information do you need? My name, shoe-size? 😉
What else information could be relevant?
It’s just:
– Keep Safari open
– Launch the Photoshop installer -> It asks you to quit Safari… That’s it. (Happens on MacOSX – dunno Windows)…

a.
B
Buko
Apr 2, 2009
LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 8:27 am </webx?50>
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2009
BTW: does anybody know, why I must quit Safari when installing Photoshop? That’s ridiculous…

Sorry, it’s not. You should quit all applications and utilities not required for the installation when installing any software. In other words, less chance of a corrupted installation. And it installs faster as well.

Neil
AF
Andy_Fuchs
Apr 3, 2009
Neil, well, that’s ‘System7-Talk’ ;-).

There’s no reason to quit processes not related to the target installation. Even if(!) other processes are affected a delayed logout/login (or whatever) should be sufficient. The main benefit of a Mac software installation (and it’s underlying *NIX) is, that this behaviour is exactly NOT the desired one and mostly not required at all.

My guess is, that this is just lazy development and they try to kill two birds with one stone.

Apropos ‘faster’: I wouldn’t care less, if the installation was quick – but the installation process (with it’s multiple ‘Setup’ apps, etc… takes quite a while (and – unfortunately – I have to re-install the whole thing from time to time). I can say that this Installer is the worst Installer on my machines. Even shareware stuff works better (and I didn’t even count the optical impression).

Anyway… thanks for your try.

andy
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2009
Andy,

There’s no reason to quit processes not related to the target installation.

And yet I don’t have the problems that some others have with bad installations and updates.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2009
More,

I have to re-install the whole thing from time to time

With one additional exception (reinstalling Photoshop CS4 after uninstalling CS3), I can’t recall ever having to reinstall short of hard drive replacement. (This is since 1991.)

Other than that, I haven’t had problems with Adobe’s installers/uninstallers.

Neil
AF
Andy_Fuchs
Apr 3, 2009
ON CS3 it happened 2 times to me, that it crashed and then I couldn’t re-launch the app, because it lost it’s authorization.
-> And I couldn’t re-authorize without re-installing
-> And I couldn’t re-install without de-install
🙁

In CS4 the situation is much better, but still far from optimal.

Btw. I can’t imagine the crashes are related to installation steps, but Font-problems, etc… Anyway I never loose the hope things will change to the better…
VS
Vee S
Apr 3, 2009
Not really as you have supply no information other than your problem.

I’d just like to comment that I feel the Adobe forums could benefit more if there was less attitude. Buko, while your reply isn’t so offensive, it’s got an air of arrogance and condescension. And I’m not just trying to single you out… it’s pervasive throughout this forum. Helpful information is usually provided but only after a jab or some belittlement occurs.

BTW, does anyone know who the moderators are?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 3, 2009
Don’t worry. It will be all better soon. Just close your eyes and Adobe will make it all better for you.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 3, 2009
V:

I’m calling troll on your behind, mister.

Neil’s the moderator and here you are wide-eyed (wha??). If you didn’t know that how can you comment on the culture here. The culture I see is people coming here with their problems and then copping an attitude. Always the same. And "the usual suspects" always rise to the same bait. But plonk them all you want. Many here have tried and failed to clean up things. I have found the "attitude" here quite justified much of the time.

– i have 20 years experience so adobe’s an idiot
– why can’t the software work the way I want
– i don’t have problems in any other software so it must be adobe – those who question me on these forums are derisive idiots – etc etc

After a while you will also be familiar with this attitude. MO’s right, hopefully soon Adobe will have a sandbox forum for (lame) folks to speak with a few quiet ones responding in their second (or third) written language the scripts they’ve been supplied. And half the time they’ll lick em good. But you and I will still be here getting shat on for our moxy. For our overwhelming intelligence.
VS
Vee S
Apr 3, 2009
J, I’m not posting this just to get a rise out of people and I didn’t know Neil was a moderator. I’m not quite up on the politics of Photoshop forums yet, LOL. I actually exchanged some emails with Chris Cox recently (because I saw the Photoshop Engineer label under his name) about who the moderators were and he suggested "…just complain in the forums and the moderators will see it." So I did just that, no trickery here.

I agree and disagree on your culture comment. Sure, there are the folks who do a Google search on some subject and end up here by accident, spewing off about their problems (justified or not). They certainly give some feel to the community, but I think the culture is most affected and defined by those who take up residence here and those who respond to the many questions asked each day.

Maybe I’m just too naive or idealistic, but of the forums I frequent this one has to be one of the most toxic yet most knowledgeable, LOL. Maybe the two go inherently hand-in-hand?
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe the two go inherently hand-in-hand?

Yes.

Which is why this post (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b87aa7/18) drowns in irony.

I get so annoyed with you lot at Adobe. What have you done, I don’t think you actually take any advice from real photographers who are using your product every day. Sure you may talk to the occasional photographer who is happy to spend 10 hours on one image, paid for by a huge client.

And I’d rethink the word toxic, too. Just for your sake, sanity and benefit (being that you might stick around here longer).

J

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections