J
Posted By
JasonSmith
Feb 1, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Let’s say I have a Smart Object with a vector mask applied on that layer.

Is there no way to link the vector mask with the smart object? If I want to move/modify the smart object, I have to seperately move/modify it’s vector mask.

Or is it just me?

– PS CS2

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 2, 2007
Jason, put the SO into a layer set, then add the vector mask to the set. The vector mask will link to the set. (As of yet, we can’t link a mask to an SO directly. No doubt they’ll engineer this in a future version.)
J
JasonSmith
Feb 2, 2007
There are a couple things I really like about CS2, and there are a couple that really drive me crazy….dont get me started on linking/unlinking layers – not to mention Cmd-G.
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 2, 2007
not to mention Cmd-G

You can set up your keyboard shortcuts, can’t you?
J
JasonSmith
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for bringing that up Peter – to this day I’ve always stuck with the default shortcuts, but apparently no more.

I just find it odd that when they added a new feature, they took an already established keyboard command and used it for that new feature, and changed the alreadly established key command to something else.

You’d think they would make ‘Group objects’ option>command>g, and leave "create clipping mask" (cmd-G) as is.

I just switched them myself.

One last question – when multiple layers are linked, is there no way to unlink just one layer w/o unlinking all of them?
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 2, 2007
Do you mean "hard" linked (you linked them by selecting them, then clicking the link button) or "soft" linked (simply shift-selected or command-selected)?

In the first case, just highlight the layer you want to delink and click the link button. All the link icons will disappear, but the remaining layers will be linked to each other (prove this by selecting one of the other layers). In the second case, just shift-click the layer you want to delink.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 2, 2007
I mean hard linked – ‘traditional’ linked…

"In the first case, just highlight the layer you want to delink and click the link button. All the link icons will disappear, but the remaining layers will be linked to each other"

See, that just isnt happening here. With the linked layer selected, clicking on the link icon does nothing.

I have just found out that shift>clicking the link icon temporarily unlinks the selected layer, which is kind of neat.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 2, 2007
OK, I see what you’re saying, click on the link icon at the bottom of the layers palette.

I think I liked the old way better.
DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 2, 2007
Picky picky 🙂
J
JasonSmith
Feb 3, 2007
WHY CANT I JUST CLICK ON THE ICON ON THE DARN LAYER!!!???

You know…the way it used to be.

In fact, why cant we go back…before there were layers.

Before there was CMYK in photoshop?
B
Buko
Feb 3, 2007
Jason you’re just getting the hang of CS2 and CS3 is almost out.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 4, 2007
Yep – took a few years off to deal with rock stars, at the same time doing poster/flyers for said rock stars (actually for the promotors/venues), all the time using PS 7.

I was using CS (1) prior to that.

Again, it just seems a little silly that while the link icon is present in the layer, simply clicking on it does nothing. I do like the shift>click option though. Why cant a simple click do anything like it used to?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections