RS
Posted By
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Again, today, I have the spinning beach ball after using the healing brush on a 489 MB image.

I have to restart the MacPro (OS 10.5.6) and – of course -I will lose the last 15 minutes of work. I can’t afford to save every 60 seconds, and this is a repeated crash event for me.

How do I get a Photoshop crash report to see what is wrong?

I can look at the Mac’s console report after I restart – is that the only way?

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 24, 2009
If Photoshop is hung, you don’t have to restart the machine- just force quit Photoshop. And sometimes the crash report takes a while to come up (if MacOS decides to take a while gathering the data).

You get the crash report to come up when Photoshop actually crashes.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
just force quit Photoshop.

If only.

When PS crashes here (using the healing brush) – with the spinning beach ball – everything is frozen. My only alternative is to push the MacPro power button and start all over.

The console report shows some problems with "VersionCueCS3" – that may be a clue. I had the PS CS3 Creative Suite installed – and then I updated just the PS CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 programs. Those are the only 2 programs that I use. I think that there are parts of CS3 still hanging around and making problems for me.

I just ran the "Remove CS3" program – and I’ll see what happens.

Dick
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
If you still have Photoshop & Bridge CS3 installed, launch both of them and disable VersionCue in BOTH programs (there are two places in Bridge’s Prefs which need to be unchecked if I remember correctly).

Then quit out of them and launch CS4/
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
OK. I used the de-install program to remove all of Photoshop CS3.

And now, CS4 will not start – the error message says that there are missing files.

So, I have re-installed CS4 – and I am repairing permissions.

Maybe by midnight I will be ready to go back to work.

I seek to understand what the heck Adobe is up to when it makes 16 different packages to choose from to get their software onto my computer. All I want is Photoshop and Dreamweaver – and I have to buy a Suite – Designer – to get them both – along with a bunch of things I will never use. And – if you ever buy the suite – you can’t upgrade any component alone without causing chaos in your computer.

Arrrrgh !!!

Dick

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
When PS crashes here (using the healing brush) – with the spinning beach ball – everything is frozen. My only alternative is to push the MacPro power button and start all over.

That is an unmistakable, unambiguous sign of hardware problems.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
That is an unmistakable, unambiguous sign of hardware problems.

Could be, but after re-installing Photoshop CS4 – and getting rid of everything from the CS3 Suite – I am back to work with no crashes so far. I didn’t do anything to my hardware. The console log only showed software – eg. CS3 – issues before.

Dick
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
The problems will more than likely return, though. A total system freeze denotes hardware issues.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
The problems will more than likely return

Only time will tell. MY CS3 problem centered around the CS3VersionCue – I noted that a conflict was due to that program trying to load at startup – and failing. The Mac kept going back to find the missing software.

When I deleted all the CS3 files my Photoshop CS4 could not run – some CS3 file was being used by CS4. That undoubtedly was the result of doing a CS3 to CS4 upgrade – and not removing the CS3 first. Of course, to do the upgrade, CS4 wants to find CS3 ! I really think that I just had a jumble of CS3 and CS4 software parts fighting each other. How – or why – it took down the whole MacPro, I don’t know. I expect it might have been because I also had Bridge CS4 running at the same time – and it had bits and pieces of Bridge CS3 to contend with as well.

So, for now, I’m up and running fine. We’ll see.

Dick
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
Richard,

Very little of what you write makes any sense at all.

Each version of Photoshop is totally independent from any other prior version. No version uses files from an earlier version. It is not necessary at all to uninstall previous versions in order to install a newer one.

I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 9, 0.1, 10.0.2 and 11.0.1 happily coexisting on my machine. I can even run two versions simultaneously simply by launching an older version first. Each version has a different scratch disk volume assigned to it.

You have hardware problems. But I’m not here to argue with you. It’s not my machine and the consequences of not ferreting out your hardware issues will not affect me in the least.
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
Now, Version Cue in my view is indeed a piece of and I’ve disabled it in each and every version, but Version Cue does not cause the whole machine to freeze.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
Now, Version Cue in my view is indeed a piece of and I’ve disabled it in each and every version

Good for you. My error log shows my MacPro looking in vain for CS3VersionCue – it was trying to run it at login – and failed. When I removed everything from CS3 – CS4 WOULD NOT RUN – it was missing files and demanded to be re-installed. What was CS4 using that was in CS3 ?

I started using Photoshop with version 2 – in about 1991 – I loaded about 20 floppy disks into my first mac – a IIFx. I think that I have had every version since then. And – I want to skip everything to do with "Creative Suites." I just want Photoshop and Dreamweaver – and Bridge.

My one word for the new Adobe approach to software is this: BLOAT.

Or maybe it should just be: MONEY.

Dick
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
Another way to look at the Suite pricing is that if you need three programs, the price of the upgrades to those three, if purchased separately, is usually about the same price as the Upgrade to the whole Suite — which means that you are really getting the rest of the applications for free!

If that makes you feel any better …

🙂
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
What was CS4 using that was in CS3 ?

Nothing.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
which means that you are really getting the rest of the applications for free!

And that is what they are worth to me … zero.

Can we just bundle Photoshop and Dreamweaver – for the countless photographers who have websites – but don’t make layouts for magazines. I don’t need – or want – InDesign, or Illustrator. I never use Flash CS4 or Fireworks CS4 either for that matter.

Design Premium has tons of stuff that I do not want – but it is the only way to get Photoshop and Dreamweaver together. And, as I said – pity on you if you ever installed a "Suite" and now you try to just upgrade one of the programs (as I did from CS3 Creative Suite to Photoshop CS4). I seem to recall reading that Adobe designed it so that you can only upgrade from a suite to the next ENTIRE suite package – and not upgrade individual programs. That’s just what I tried to do – CS3 creative suite to Photoshop CS4 – and the result is a big mess.

Dick
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
What was CS4 using that was in CS3 ?

I have no clue ….

But, when I ran the CS3 un-install program – Photoshop CS4 could not open afterwards – and was missing some critical files. I was instructed to reload Photoshop CS4 – and that’s what I did.

It’s been a long day…

Dick
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
But, when I ran the CS3 un-install program – Photoshop CS4 could not open afterwards

Ah! I hadn’t caught that!

The CS3 Uninstaller can indeed damage or delete CS4 files.

Can we just bundle Photoshop and Dreamweaver

I’ve got no use for Dreamweaver. On the other hand, I do use InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat Standard. I sympathize with Adobe’s not being able to please everybody. I just keep Photoshop upgraded and run older versions of Indesigm, Illustrator and InDesign.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Mar 25, 2009
They share the com.adobe.applicationname.plist and fonts and perhaps font databases.

They can also share color profiles and can also share version cue database data and other profiles. There is the possibility that though they are separated because of the method of uninstalling there was a corruption created, some kind of corruption would explain it.

I think Richard did the right thing and i think he is back on track, probably just fouled up when removing CS3.
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
just fouled up when removing CS3.

Yup.
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 25, 2009
If you are just putting up galleries, Dreamweaver is total overkill. There are free/cheap applications available.
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
Dreamweaver is total overkill.

Of course, but people say the same thing about Photoshop – why not just use iPhoto?

Dreamweaver and Photoshop are a great Combo – and I’m glad that they are both in the Adobe matrix. Now, I’d like to get them bundled without extra fluff.

I purchased the Creative Suite CS2 – then upgraded it to Creative Suite CS3 – and now I have a problem just updating Dreamweaver and Photoshop to the CS4 versions.

I’m trying to keep up and running – while waiting for Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Photoshop CS5 to appear.

Dick
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 25, 2009
Richard,

Still not sure what you did. Did you buy the complete CS 4 Suite, but just wish to install Photoshop and Dreamweaver from that Suite?

If so, maybe the solution is to completely uninstall all previous versions of Adobe software, run system maintenance, and do a fresh install Photoshop CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 alone.

I seem to recall reading that Adobe designed it so that you can only upgrade from a suite to the next ENTIRE suite package – and not upgrade individual programs. That’s just what I tried to do – CS3 creative suite to Photoshop CS4 – and the result is a big mess.

But, if you just bought the two individual apps, and not the Suite, you did not upgrade Suite to Suite. A single application is not an upgrade path from a previous Creative Suite — only a Suite to Suite upgrade is, although you don’t have to install all CS4 components. If this is what you did, then you need to call Adobe and see if they’ll work something out. A friend of mine was able to install a Photoshop CS4 upgrade (he has the complete CS3 Suite) — but only after an exasperating three hours on the phone with Adobe somewhere in downtown India.

Can we just bundle Photoshop and Dreamweaver – for the countless photographers who have websites

But Dreamweaver is probably far more overkill here than Photoshop is.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 25, 2009
Richard,

Still not sure what you did. Did you buy the complete CS 4 Suite, but just wish to install Photoshop and Dreamweaver from that Suite?

If so, maybe the solution is to completely uninstall all previous versions of Adobe software, run system maintenance, and do a fresh install Photoshop CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 alone. No need to install CS2 or CS3 again — just use their serial numbers when prompted.

I seem to recall reading that Adobe designed it so that you can only upgrade from a suite to the next ENTIRE suite package – and not upgrade individual programs. That’s just what I tried to do – CS3 creative suite to Photoshop CS4 – and the result is a big mess.

But, if you just bought the two individual apps, and not the Suite, you did not upgrade Suite to Suite. A single application is not an upgrade path from a previous Creative Suite — only a Suite to Suite upgrade is, although you don’t have to install all CS4 components. If this is what you did, then you need to call Adobe and see if they’ll work something out. A friend of mine was able to install a Photoshop CS4 upgrade (he has the complete CS3 Suite) — but only after an exasperating three hours on the phone with Adobe somewhere in downtown India.

Can we just bundle Photoshop and Dreamweaver – for the countless photographers who have websites

But Dreamweaver is probably far more overkill here than Photoshop is.

Neil
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 25, 2009
But, if you just bought the two individual apps, and not the Suite, you did not upgrade Suite to Suite.

Yes – that is what I did – and it does not work well at all.

I only wish, now, that I could undo my 2 previous (CS2 and CS3) Suite package installations – and still upgrade PS and DW to CS4. That turns out to be impossible – and I wound up with a mixture of Suite and Stand-Alone programs that are not happy together.

My only alternative, now, is to buy PS and DW as version CS4s – but not the upgrade packages – and start all over after erasing everything from Adobe..

Like I said Adobe + Suite = BLOAT.

Dick
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 25, 2009
Richard,

Did you contact Adobe support for this — before spending more money, see if they can resolve it for you, even if you have to spend some time on the phone.

Neil
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Mar 26, 2009
Adobe wins !

I just took advantage of my NAPP discount – and ordered the full Creative Suite Design Premium CS4.

That should put an end to my problems — and get me ready for the CS5 upgrade some day.

Dick

<http://www.wilderness-studio.com>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 26, 2009
Good move on your part, I think!
RS
Richard_Sjolund
Apr 3, 2009
OK

I now own the box with Creative Suite Design Premium CS4.

I plan to only install PS and DW from the suite.

And my question is:

How can I make certain to NOT install Version Cue CS4 ?:

I am going to do this on a fresh 1TB HD with fresh Leopard – updated to 10.5.6 – on a Mac Pro with 8 GB of RAM.

Dick
NT
Nini Tj
Apr 3, 2009
Richard,
Just watch up what it says in the installer window and choose only the apps you want, deselect the rest.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections