MV
Posted By
Marsel_van_Oosten
Mar 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just spent half a day preparing jpegs from hires psd’s, and I have just found out that the jpegs are all corrupt. When I try to open them, I get a warning message:

Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid jpeg marker type is found.

I have the same workflow for years now and have never had this happen. When I upload the jpegs to a website, they are all black. However, when I open them in Preview, they do open.

Any idea how this can suddenly happen? I do this work every day, so I’m both puzzled and concerned.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I work on a MacPro, MacOs 10.5.6

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 24, 2009
Marsel,

Please tell us how you are saving these .jpgs for Web. Also, what file sizes and resolutions you’re working with. Did you use "Save for Web and Devices…"?

More: How much RAM do you have? How much free disk space do you have? Do you have a separate scratch disk and how large is it?

Neil
MV
Marsel_van_Oosten
Mar 24, 2009
Neil – the original hires PSD’s are 240 PPI and appr. 4000 px on the longest side. Most of them are layered and have no fonts in them.

I flattened the PSD’s, converted them to 8-bit and to sRGB, sharpened them and then saved them as JPG’s. I did not use Save for Web, but Save As.

I’ve been doing this for years, but this is the first time this happens.

I have a MacPro 2×3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM. I have 650GB free disk space available on my hard drive. I have a separate 1TB scratch disk that has 750GB available.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 24, 2009
That does sound as if a disk error occurred while you were saving the first lot of JPEGs.

Have you tried running Disk Utility from the CD to "Repair Disk" or running DiskWarrior to repair directories?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 24, 2009
Marsel,

I’d run system diagnostics/repair as Ann suggests.

Neil
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
Marsel,

You are not saving to a server over a network, are you?
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections