M
Posted By
Maryo
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In the "open file" window of CS there is a small thumbnail showing the selected image. This thumbnail generation is really timewasting, especially with large .Tif image. There is a way to disable this feature ?

Thanking in advance

Mario

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
Rick Moore
May 19, 2004
I haven’t been able to find out how to get rid of the thing yet. But, that thumbnail generator is writing to your File Browser cache, so even if you don’t use the File Browser you ought to go in to the File Browser preferences and uncheck High Quality Previews
M
Maryo
May 19, 2004
Thanks Derrik, I’ve found and disabled the file browser High Quality Previews, I never use the CS image browser, but the slowdown is the same, I hope that the next maintenance release of CS will include an option to disable the thumbnail generation.
RM
Rick Moore
May 19, 2004
You should also let the File Browser run over night with "build cache for subfolders" checked, so it can cache all of the images on your drives.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 20, 2004
Maryo – if you don’t open the file browser, and don’t enable background processing — then thumbnail generation is disabled. It only runs when you tell it to….
RM
Rick Moore
May 20, 2004
So why is it when I have the File Browser closed and background processing off, I go to File > Open in CS, click on the new files that I just created, wait forever for the thumbnail in the File Open dialog to display, and then look at my file browser folder and see newly created cache files?

Maryo – if you don’t open the file browser, and don’t enable background
processing — then thumbnail generation is disabled. It only runs when you tell it to….
M
Maryo
May 20, 2004
Chris, I’ve disabled the "allow background processing" feature but the slowdown problem remain…

I’ve put online a screengrab of the openfile window showing the thumbnail, in this case it’s the world map just above the "File size: 38.0M". I’m looking for a way to disable this feature

<http://www.space-graphics.com/cs_open.jpg>

A 38Mb .Tif image require ~6 seconds to made a thumbnail, but with very large image it’s endless, and CS freeze until finished.

I’m also unable to perform an overnight "build cache for subfolders", most images are frequently changed/updated, no practical way…

Any more help greatly appreciated, thanks.
B
BobLevine
May 20, 2004
We had a discussion of this awhile back. AFAIK, nobody ever came up with a fix. It takes forever for that preview thumbnail to come up on very large TIFF files. Once its done, however that problem doesn’t resurface.

The biggest problem is that you can’t open the file until the thumbnail is created. There’s supposed to be a registry fix on the CD to turn the thumbnail off but it doesn’t work.

I wish I could off you more, but it seems that this doesn’t effect many people, and to be honest, I never saw it on anything as small as 35 megs.

Bob
RM
Rick Moore
May 20, 2004
I tested on my home machine last night and 20 meg files were taking around 60 seconds to generate the thumb. Just tested here at work and it’s around a 4 second delay, even for much larger files – and they are very similar machines, so I must have some setting goofy at home.
BTW, the path to the browser cache is:
C:\Documents and Settings\rmoore\Application
Data\Adobe\FileBrowser\PhotoshopCS
and the files that were created by using the File|Open dialog box are: New Folder342
New Folder342T
New Folder342M
index.dat
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
Derrick – file open and the file browser have no relation, they don’t share previews.
RM
Rick Moore
May 21, 2004
I just checked this by opening FB and pointing to the new folder and indeed a new cache file is created in the FB so they are not shared – so why is a cache file created in the FB folder when the file open thumbnail is generated? They use the same name so why doesn’t the FB see the existing cache file instead of overwriting it? And getting back to the point can it be turned off?

Derrick – file open and the file browser have no relation, they don’t
share previews.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
The FB cache can’t create anything if you’re just using File->Open.
M
Maryo
May 21, 2004
Thanks all for the reply.

At this point, an option to disable the "File open" thumbnail feature will be greatly appreciated! I kindly ask the Adobe tech staff to take in mind this request for the next CS update, thanks.

Mario
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
Maryo – unfortunately, that is usually handled by the OS. I’m not sure if there is a way to disable it.
RM
Rick Moore
May 21, 2004
I’m not making this up, something is being created in the FB cache when File|Open is used, you don’t see that on your end?

The FB cache can’t create anything if you’re just using File->Open.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
No, but we should probably look into it.
H
Ho
May 21, 2004
Chris, how has the File Open preview changed in CS vs. previous versions of Photoshop? Whatever you did before worked well, what you’re doing now does not.
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 22, 2004
Maryo

I’ve created a mini-application with PSCS scripting which might help you out. It’s a little toolbar which is accessed from the notification area (system tray), running outside of Photoshop. It doesn’t do a lot at the moment (one day it might) but one thing it does is open psds and tiffs using a Windows file dialog rather than a PS file dialog so it doesn’t attempt to generate any thumbnails. You are welcome to try it if you want.

As Bob said above, there is a registry fix in Goodies\Optional Plug-Ins\Photoshop Only\Optional Extensions which doesn’t seem to work.
H
Ho
May 23, 2004
…file open and the file browser have no relation, they don’t share previews.

Then why is it when I clear my entire Browser cache that all my File Open previews go away?
H
Ho
May 24, 2004
Regarding my last post, this is reproducible and consistent. If I clear the Browser cache, I lose image previews in the File Open dialog box. I have not checked to see if letting File Open generate a preview where none exists has any effect on the Browser.
RM
Rick Moore
May 24, 2004
That’s because that’s where the File|Open dialog preview is stored, no matter what Chris thinks 😉
The strange thing is it has the same naming convention as the File Browser cache, but the FB will overwrite this preview and generate it’s own – with the exact same name – if the File|Open preview is already there!

Regarding my last post, this is reproducible and consistent. If I clear
the Browser cache, I lose image previews in the File Open dialog box.
M
Maryo
May 25, 2004
Mick, I’m interested to test your suggested sw. solution to see if can speed up the .Tif open file process. How to get it ?

Thanking in advance,

Mario
M
Maryo
May 25, 2004
I’ve just installed the registry addon "ShowWindowsThumbnails_OFF.reg", from the CS CD1.

Well, it work!

When I open a .psd file, the open window show the thumbnail, almost in realtime.

The attempt to load a .Tif file is now fast as with other file format and no thumbnail is showed.

I believe I’ve solved the issue!!!

Thanks all for the support!

Mario
RM
Rick Moore
May 25, 2004
That’s very interesting – I tried that reg file on two different machines and it did not do anything, and others reported the same.

The attempt to load a .Tif file is now fast as with other file format and
no thumbnail is showed.
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 25, 2004
Well goodonya Maryo. I’ve tried that as well and it didn’t work. If you do want the app at any time, just repost in this thread and I can email it to you.
M
Maryo
May 27, 2004
Thanks Mick for your software proposal, I will take your offer in mind!

Bye

Mario

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections