MP
Posted By
MP_Photo
Mar 12, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running OS 10.5.6 with CS4 2,8 gig Macbook Pro with 120gig scratch disk and 4 gig ram I’m trying to merge 6 700-800 KB sized images which with a machine like I have should be done in seconds…well it seems to be working just fine but the result is NO IMAGE !
I’ve read several other posts on this but no actual answer…..

Any solutions for this yet ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Mar 12, 2009
do the images actually have anything in common so Photoshop can stitch the images together?
MP
MP_Photo
Mar 12, 2009
yes they’re a panorama….same exposure and all settings same just different framings
MP
MP_Photo
Mar 12, 2009
in addition the canon software can stitch the images together just fine..heard so much touted about this feature in CS4 but I’ve yet to have a SINGLE result in the 8 months I’ve had the program.
B
Buko
Mar 12, 2009
yes they’re a panorama….same exposure and all settings same just different framings

So you have overlap in each of the images?

I use it all the time works great.

Can you tell us exactly how you are doing it?
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 12, 2009
And yet I haven’t seen anyone else report that they got NO results when using the merge in Photoshop. Some people have gotten poor results (mostly fixed in the dot), but NO result is bizarre.

And do you have example input image that we can see and try to reproduce the problem?
MP
MP_Photo
Mar 13, 2009
Thanks for your help Chris…I guess I’ve figured out a work around so to speak or rather the best way to approach the issue…. was not accurately describing the problem…as I was trying to run the photomerge from within Bridge…which consistently resulted in no image ( worked on the images offered though ) …and still does however, if I do it within photoshop…I DO get an image in the end….

Again…thanks
R
Ram
Mar 13, 2009
Have you tried purging the cache in Bridge for each offending folder through the Tools menu in Bridge?

Avoid the global purge cache command in Bridge preferences.
AL
Andrew_Lundquist
Mar 23, 2009
I have this exact same issue using Merge to HDR: CS4 will start opening the layers, aligning, merging, etc; the progress bar will be going, and I’ll step away for a minute to do something while I wait. When I come back NOTHING: no result, no error, no layers, no current document – Photoshop is blank. ARG!

The issue seems random.

It has failed AND worked on the exact same set of photos (and yes, I’m using photos that have true, different exposures).

It has failed AND worked under all the following scenarios: Lightroom > (right-click) Edit > Merge to HDR in Photoshop Bridge > Tools > Merge to HDR in Photoshop
Photoshop > File > Automate > Merge to HDR

This is extremely frustrating. I never know when I kick off a merge if it will finish or not, and it fails roughly 60% of the time after all that waiting. I’m running Photoshop CS4 Ext on Windows XP Pro trying to merge raw NEF files.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Anyone figure anything out?
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
I’m running Photoshop CS4 Ext on Windows XP Pro

Well then that your problem you need a Mac. B)
AL
Andrew_Lundquist
Mar 24, 2009
well, i completely agree! and it sounds like you want to be the first contributor to my "Buy Andrew a new Macbook Pro Fund" πŸ˜‰ But according to Mr Photo’s post before mine… that wouldn’t help me any either.
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
Well you are lost, maybe going across the hall you can get a better answer.

But as I stated to MP Photomerge works just fine in CS4.
R
Ram
Mar 24, 2009
Andrew,

You have inadvertently posted in the Photoshop Macintosh forum. The dark side is across the hall.
AL
Andrew_Lundquist
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks, and sorry for the intrusion. I realized the mistake after Buko’s kind way of drawing my attention to it. Perhaps I subconsciously wandered into where I wish my question applied. Or, that’s what I get for replying right out of search results without checking the location.

It is interesting to me though, that there seems to be a similar issue on both OSX and Windows code-bases. And I’m pretty sure it’s not my setup (100% sure i didn’t run out of scratch disk space). I’ve seen the merge work and fail on the exact same set of images.

Anyway, sorry to muddy your Mac waters. Maybe I’ll go see if any of the other neanderthals have seen / resolved this issue (all in good fun of course).

cheers.
B
Buko
Mar 24, 2009
I do browse the Windows forum and try to help where I can. In doing this I have noticed that there seems to be a plethora of bugs associated with the Windows version more so than the Mac. Mostly with OpenGL.

Last time CS3 Mac seemed to have its fair share of bugs, so Adobe seem to be fair about this whole thing.
R
Ram
Mar 25, 2009
Andrew,

Of course you’re welcome to hang out here too. πŸ™‚

It’s just that you’ll find better answers over there.

As for your issue, check the permissions on the volume where your images reside. If necessary, set it to "Ignore Ownership" of this volume, if such an option exists in the property window in Windows, as it does in OS X.
AL
Andrew_Lundquist
Mar 26, 2009
Aw thanks RamΓ³n. Actually, I might have have questions for you all yet (we have both Macs and Windows machines in the house). Trying not to stray too far off topic from the OP: has anyone else had similar issues with CS4?

What about CS3 vs. CS4 on these kinds of quirks / reliability issues? (Obviously CS4 is still pretty new and there will be updates over time). My wife has an older Powerbook G4 that still exceeds the minimum requirements, but would it run CS3 better in your experiences? We have to upgrade her machine at some point too.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 26, 2009
Andrew,

To give you a head start, there are a few topics you can search in this forum about CS4 functionality, installing CS4 on a G4, and some of the other issues you touched on.

If you have specific questions not answered, you’ll get better response by posting a new topic.

And, sure, Windows visitors are always welcome to participate in any of the non-Windows-specific issues.

Neil
AL
Andrew_Lundquist
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks, Neil – I’ll do that! Very helpful.
Mar 27, 2009
I had the very same problem with Photomerge in PS CS4:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?12@@.59b869db/3>

It was solved when I lowered the RAM used by Photoshop from 70% to 65%.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections