Posted By
Beate_de_Nijs
Jan 18, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
I took some pics (sort of quarter-panorama with 6 pics) with the iPhone of a bright blue winter sky.
Doing Photomerge resulted in awful bright and false colours (including bright violet and greens…!) It seems that Photomerge has problems with blue skies.

(not only Photomerge, I don’t remember what feature I had tested last year, but from single blue pics the results at some auto adjustment were as unpleasant. at single pics that doesn’t matter as one can adjust it manually, but for batching or photomerge this should be corrected…)

(Otherwise I love Photomerge since it was introduced into PS)

beate

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
pfigen
Jan 18, 2009
I don’t think that PhotoMerge alters colors. Are you sure that what you aren’t seeing might a profile mismatch?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 18, 2009
Photomerge does not alter colors, although there is a blending mode to smooth transitions, such as with sky.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 18, 2009
took some pics (sort of quarter-panorama with 6 pics) with the iPhone of a bright blue winter sky. Doing Photomerge resulted in awful bright and false colours (including bright violet and greens…!) It seems that Photomerge has problems with blue skies.

But, good grief! How can you make such a blanket assumption based upon any images taken with…an as crummy a picture taker as an iPhone?

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 18, 2009
took some pics (sort of quarter-panorama with 6 pics) with the iPhone of a bright blue winter sky. Doing Photomerge resulted in awful bright and false colours (including bright violet and greens…!) It seems that Photomerge has problems with blue skies.

But, good grief! How can you make such a blanket assumption based upon any images taken with an as crummy a picture taker as an iPhone? Take a real modern camera out, take it off auto-mode, set the exposure to be consistent, put the camera on a tripod and then take a series of photos with 1/3 overlap for processing in Photomerge.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 18, 2009
but from single blue pics the results at some auto adjustment were as unpleasant

Which "auto adjustment" is this? In the camera/iPhone? In Photoshop? Photomerge?

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 18, 2009
but from single blue pics the results at some auto adjustment were as unpleasant

Which "auto adjustment" is this? In the camera/iPhone? In Photoshop? Photomerge? Which version of Photoshop (I assume it was prior to CS4)?

Please get back to us with details, so we can guide you. Thanks.

Neil
BD
Beate_de_Nijs
Jan 19, 2009
(I wrote the PS version – CS 4 – in my the subject line …) (I think…I know how to take proper panoramic pics…, I have done so in the past…(and then stitched them in QTVR on Classic Mac OS…) I also have a tripod and a decent enough camera for that(Nikon D80).

But I didn’t take that equipment on my nice winter snow walk with me,only my iPhone .

And the problem described doesn’t depend on the kind of camera….

I had reported the problem a year ago (I had reported/logged a bug in May 2008 to Adobe….) and now the auto correction works much better, at least at single pics… But in Photomerge the prob persists…

When you have images with nearly only sky, clear deep, nearly dark blue, sky (taken on bright days of in the mountains) and choose adjustment/auto colour the blue gets not quite right ‘corrected’.

One can try with a pic that contains sky plus landscape, then crop the image to only sky and compare how different these adjustment look. (PS has not much other image information for comparison so the sky gets weirdly adjusted.)

At other uni coloured pics (e.g. a red table, an orange wall the autocorrection doesn’t shift the colours as much as with mainly deep sky blues….)

Sure, I know how to use filters, and batch images in PS and do all sorts of corrections and adjustments… but for people wanting quick results, and who that have take intense blue pics (by chance or deliberately, setting white balance to indoor or whatever) and doing photomerge it should work okay …

And as I know that problem existed with single pics and no longer is so evident, I assumed that the fix for single pics has not been applied for photomerge as well …
R
Ram
Jan 19, 2009
Beate,

My experience with Photomerge in CS4 has been very, very good. However I do very few panoramas, as panos are really not my cup of tea.

My suspicion is that there is something else at play in your case.

Below, I’m going to post an example of a pano done entirely in Photoshop 11 ("CS4"). The image contains both sky on top and ocean on the bottom. You can tell us if you think this Photomerge performance is acceptable to you or not. The image is of course a reduced, low-resolution file for illustration purposes.

My advance apologies to all forum users if Pixentral once again breaks the forum margins with its preview. It seems Pixentral bases the size of the clickable thumbnail only on the height of the image, not its width. We’ll see.

´ CLICK on thumbnail for full image, then scroll horizontally. This is an extremely wide image.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 19, 2009
Beate,

I took some pics (sort of quarter-panorama with 6 pics) with the iPhone of a bright blue winter sky. Doing Photomerge resulted in awful bright and false colours (including bright violet and greens…!) It seems that Photomerge has problems with blue skies.

My response is based upon your post, which in my opinion describes a poor workflow, and no way to make a fair judgment of Photoshop panoramas. I’ve made a number of Photoshop panoramas since the capability was introduced (in CS2, I believe). The results I get are similar to what Ramón demonstrates. I never have any of the color problems you are describing, and I don’t recall other posts here mirroring yours. But then, I shoot raw and don’t depend upon auto correction to tame color.

sky (taken on bright days of in the mountains) and choose adjustment/auto colour the blue gets not quite right ‘corrected’.

Note that auto color correction is not the way to reliably "correct" color. It’s like letting your camera (auto) select white balance, focus, flash, aperture and shutter speed and expecting great results in every shot.

Thanks.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 19, 2009
Beate,

I took some pics (sort of quarter-panorama with 6 pics) with the iPhone of a bright blue winter sky. Doing Photomerge resulted in awful bright and false colours (including bright violet and greens…!) It seems that Photomerge has problems with blue skies.

My response is based upon your post, which in my opinion describes a poor workflow, and no way to make a fair judgment of Photoshop panoramas. I’ve made a number of Photoshop panoramas since the capability was introduced (in CS2, I believe). The results I get are similar to what Ramón demonstrates. I never have any of the color problems you are describing, and I don’t recall other posts here mirroring yours. But then, I shoot raw and don’t depend upon auto correction to tame color.

sky (taken on bright days of in the mountains) and choose adjustment/auto colour the blue gets not quite right ‘corrected’.

Note that auto color correction is not the way to reliably "correct" color. It’s like letting your camera "auto" select white balance, focus, flash, aperture and shutter speed and expecting great results in every shot. The iPhone is most probably going to give poorer "auto" selection results than your Nikon D80.

Neil
BD
Beate_de_Nijs
Jan 20, 2009
I’ve now made a whole row of Photomerge tests and it seems the problem is some other issue, regarding adjustments and not regarding Photomerge (but as Photomerge does some auto adjustments at blending the images together it gets affected)

After having done several Photomerges (always with the same iPhone crappy 😉 images) without a flaw, the next Photomerge gave me again such awful colours!
I’ve uploaded an image to pixentral so you know what I mean …:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=16gJSqPoUuM74hjQVo MBbaFy5ZnTl>

And now I remember that I had a similar weirdness also in previous PS versions after having applied adjustment/variations/(e.g. a bit more red) for several times in a row (not to one image, but opening an adjusting several images one after the other). suddenly there was a sharper jump in colours at all variations choices/previews being far too bright/saturated (even when set to fine correction.

When PS is closed and relaunched and variations is opened, and the same settings are used as before (e.g. midtones, fine) the colour choices presented are finer again.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1q0SQQauB8msXrk4YJ CVHUtHgLmo>

Could maybe somebody of you try this as well and let me know if this only happens on my system (mac os x 10.5.5. Adobe CS 4 PS 11.0)

Or or additionally I might file this a bug to Adobe …

Thanks for your patience so far trying to help me and figuring out what it might be.

Beate
————
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 20, 2009
Beate,

I cannot comment further on why you have an issue here, as I’ve never experienced a shift in color, contrast, brightness, or any other related "surprise" factor when creating panoramas, in CS2, CS3, or CS4. All of my panoramas maintain their family resemblance to the individual component images.

All my panoramas in the past two years or so have been from Nikon D80 images, mostly raw (although there were a few early .jpg panoramas with this camera and a Kodak point-and-shoot).

Current relevant system: Mac G5 1.8 GHz Dual, Mac OS X v10.4.11, Photoshop CS4 Extended, Nikon D80.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections