Why does flattening image result in locked background?

B
Posted By
Bob2642
Oct 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I flatten an image, Photoshop automatically creates one background layer and locks it. How can I set Photoshop to default to NOT locking the background?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 23, 2008
Presuming you don’t have a background layer when you wish to ‘flatten,’ use the Layer > Merge Visible command rather than Flatten Image. A flattened image always has a background (locked) layer. Why? That’s just the way it is. If you want to create a new image without a background layer choose Transparent from the "Background Contents:" menu from the New dialog.
KC
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Oct 23, 2008
After all my years with Photoshop, one thing I’ve never worked out…….. what is the advantage/benefit of background being locked by default? What purpose does it serve?

For instance, if you flatten an image, the result is a background which is locked. What is the thinking behind it?
SF
Steve_Fairbairn
Oct 23, 2008
There’s nothing behind it – it’s the background :O)
KC
KEV_CHAMBERLAIN
Oct 23, 2008
There will never be a better answer, but it wasn’t the one I was looking for!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 23, 2008
After all my years with Photoshop, one thing I’ve never worked out…….. what is the advantage/benefit of background being locked by default? What purpose does it serve?

A few things.

a Background is not a layer and therefore follows different rules.

It does not have transparency and it has the ability to move channels independently.
B
Bob2642
Oct 23, 2008
Many Thanks to Welles Goodrich (his post wasn’t showing up here when I typed this, for some reason) who said:

"Presuming you don’t have a background layer when you wish to ‘flatten,’ use the Layer > Merge Visible command rather than Flatten Image. A flattened image always has a background (locked) layer. Why? That’s just the way it is. If you want to create a new image without a background layer choose Transparent from the "Background Contents:" menu from the New dialog."

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections