Combining 2 images, results in huge resolution increase. Help…

K
Posted By
kpwft
Feb 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hopefully someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong…

Image a has a resolution of 72. Image b has a resolution of 72. I increase the canvas size of image a – check the resolution, it’s still 72 – drop image b on image a, which of course makes a new layer. Check the resolution and it’s now 1284.314.

Help – why doesn’t it stay at 72?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Feb 14, 2007
I don’t know hte answer to your question but is there a reason you can’t go into image> image size and reset it to 72 (uncheck resample)?
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 14, 2007
Do the actual pixel dimensions of the image alter during this transition? The "resolution" is just a tag in the metadata. So long as the actual pixel size remains unchanged, your image win’t be affected.

Nevertheless, it shouldn’t be happening. Try resetting the Oreferences as detailed in the FAQs.
K
kpwft
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks… I can go in and change it, but it’s really a pain. The resolution needs to be 72 since what I’m working on are web images.

I’ll reset the prefs and see if that takes care of it. I thought perhaps I’d changed something inadvertently that could be causing it.

Thanks!
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 14, 2007
The resolution needs to be 72 since what I’m working on are web images

The web doesn’t know or care what resolution your images are. Web Browsers only deal in Actual pixels. In fact images rarely if ever display at 72 pixels per inch. The most common screen resolution these days is 96 ppi.

Let’s say you have an image which you resized to 4×4" at 72 ppi. It’s pixel dimensions would be 288 x 288. If you go to Image_Size and change the "resolution" to 300 ppi with "Resample" unchecked, the dialogue would report the image s"size" as 0.96 of an inch. It’s real size, however, would remain unchanged at 288 x 288 pixels and it would display exactly the same in a web browser.

Chris.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Feb 14, 2007
What are the pixel dimensions of a and b? Are you viewing them both at the same zoom level when you are dropping one into the other? The images should remain the same pixel dimensions as before. Thus, if you have a 1000×1000 image zoomed to 25% and a 250×250 image zoomed to 100% they will look the same size, but if you drop the first onto the second, it will be much larger than the image it’s dropped on.
K
kpwft
Feb 14, 2007
The resolutions have never changed in the past when I’ve combined images… I really don’t want a resolution of 1284.314, no matter what the print size. It’s just odd… width has been 300, but height has varied. It just seems like when image a is 72 dpi and image b is 72 dpi, then when they’re combined, the result should still be 72…

Thanks…
C
chrisjbirchall
Feb 14, 2007
when they’re combined, the result should still be 72…

That’s how it should be. Did you try trashing the Prefs?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections