AS
Posted By
Albrecht_Sieber
Feb 22, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All my printerprofiles I used with photoshop cs3 are ignored by photoshop cs4. It looks like printing with colormanagement off.

EPSONPrinters, PPC G5, OSX 10.5.6, 8 GB RAM

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
pfigen
Feb 22, 2009
Can you further explain what you mean by ignored? Can you not see them when doing a convert to profile or choosing them in the Ps print dialog, or are you invoking them and nothing seems to happen?

Can you also provide a detailed explanation of your exact printing options – i.e. screen shots or written description of all parameters.

There is a known problem with Epson printers when printing from Leopard and CS4 compared to CS3 and until that has been addressed by Epson I would only print from CS3.
D
DYP
Feb 22, 2009
It looks like printing with colormanagement off.

This whole issue with printing with PSCS4 has probably been discussed over 1,000 times in this forum and the LR forum.

Do a search. There are workarounds if you want to print from PSCS4
P
pfigen
Feb 23, 2009
DYP,

I don’t use LR but searched the LR forum and found some discussion dating back to last November, but the only workaround suggested was for Advanced Black and White. I couldn’t find any wordaround for printing color images from Leopard and CS4.

When I print the same profile targets from CS3 and CS4, there is up to a 20.72 Delta E difference between the two targets.

I did read that Eric Chan claims to have had no problems printing profile targets from CS4 and Leopard. I’m not sure if he ever bothered to compare them to CS3 and Leopard.

Here in the PS forum the blame seems to be put on Epson, but in the LR forum, it appears to be Apple’s fault.

Whoever’s at fault doesn’t matter at this point, as printing from CS4 is just not working from a color managed standpoint. I’ll just print from CS3 for the time being.
AS
Albrecht_Sieber
Feb 23, 2009
Thank you pfingen, that is just what I found. CS3 is the solution 😉
D
DYP
Feb 23, 2009
If your printer driver is being forced to ColorSync (double profiling) when printing from PSCS4 do a search for "ColorSync Utility" for information on the workaround. However even with the workaround you will not be able to print a profile target from PSCS4.

To briefly summarize the workaround, you change the default profile in the CU to the profile you choose in the PS print dialog. This is done for the media that you select in the driver. Also some people have found that they need to also change that for the default setting in the CU (the one with the blue dot). You are still double profiling but with that same profile so the image will print correct.
AS
Albrecht_Sieber
Feb 23, 2009
Now I have installed the calibrated profiles to the printer driver. PSCS4 colormanagement is off. Not as easy as in CS3 but the result is ok. The results of double profiling is very coincidental.
If you place the ps-picture to illustrator the printing with ‘colormanagement by the application’ is no problem in CS4, illustrator has no problem using .ccc profiles.
P
pfigen
Feb 23, 2009
DYP

The problem is that I only use my own custom profiles, and since there seems to be no way to currently send truly raw RGB to the Epson driver right now, CS4 is out.
D
DYP
Feb 23, 2009
Do you have Indesign. Illustrator or PSCS3?
P
pfigen
Feb 23, 2009
Of course. I have them all. I’m only concerned with the CS3/CS4 Photoshop problem. I never print out of any of the other applications.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 23, 2009
BTW – the problems with Epson printers and color management depend a lot on the model and version of the driver. Epson fixed the bugs in more recent printer models and driver updates, but older models may never get the drivers fixed.
D
DYP
Feb 23, 2009
Of course. I have them all. I’m only concerned with the CS3/CS4 Photoshop problem. I never print out of any of the other applications.

Only PSCS4 affects the problem of not being able turn off CM in your driver. If you need to print a no color managed profile target you can do that with ID, IL, and PSCS3. That profile will work fine in PSCS4 if you use the CU workaround.
P
pfigen
Feb 23, 2009
The profile unfortunately will not work fine in CS4. Something is happening to the raw RGB data in CS4 that is different (up to 20 Delta E different) than the same file in CS3. The same difference will show in any subsequent converted files sent through the driver the same way.
D
DYP
Feb 23, 2009
The profile unfortunately will not work fine in CS4. Something is happening to the raw RGB data in CS4 that is different (up to 20 Delta E different) than the same file in CS3. The same difference will show in any subsequent converted files sent through the driver the same way.

We all ready know that and it has been explained to you a number of times.

So either get a new printer with correctly updated drivers for Leopard, find correctly updated drivers for Leopard for your current printer (may not be possible), use the ColorSync workaround, or try converting to you printer profile in PS and the choose Printer Manages Color, (may not work depending on what you printer driver does when you turn off CM in the driver), or print from CS3.
L
Lundberg02
Feb 23, 2009
What a concise, brilliant, and perfectly feasible solution! Thank you SOOOO much.
P
pfigen
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah, it’s called a clusterf**k. Maybe workable if you do enough testing and only have a print here or there, but not when you’ve got a boatload of prints to get out – and I’ve got 400 30 x 30’s to finish by the end of the week.
L
LarryGR
Feb 23, 2009
So what exactly does one do inside of CU. And yes I have search for "ColorSync Utility" and read every thread and tried all kinds of stuff and used all kinds of ink and do not understand why Adobe doesn’t put up an information page as to this problem and the workaround. Even though Adobe didn’t cause the problem I am Adobe’s customer and paid good money to use CS4 and be able to print from it.

And I am serious as to the first question here. What exactly does one do after launching CU to be able to print and have the colors match??????

Thank you in advance.
D
DYP
Feb 23, 2009
Refer to #5 and search the Lightroom Forum.
AS
Albrecht_Sieber
Feb 24, 2009
If you want pscs4 to do the colormanagement, you can choose preview in the printdialog. The Preview.app shows the correct profiled imageprintout and does the printing without colormanagement by printer driver.
L
LarryGR
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks DYP and Albrecht this is helpful and I have actually made a matching print.
RS
Ryan_S_Grayley
Feb 25, 2009
D
DYP
Feb 25, 2009
I have come across a few people saying that if they set the printer in question to the default printer that it cured the double profiling issue. For some installations you need to use the CUPS interface to do this. <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers>

I tried this with the Epson 9600 and it did not work for me but may work for others.
AS
Albrecht_Sieber
Feb 27, 2009
After installing pscs4 11.0.1 ps does the colormanagement nicely…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections